Registration Information, Options and Policies
Questions : Call Customer Service at 240-567-5188
WD&CE Tuition Waiver for Disabled Students Guide
HB104 (http://mlis.state.md.us/2011rs/chapters_noln/Ch_576_hb0104T.pdf), enacted by the 2011 Maryland General Assembly, redefines the tuition waiver for students with disabilities as those out of the workforce by reason of total and permanent disability and entering community colleges. HB 104 superceded previous legislation and proposed significant changes to Section 16-106c of the Education Article, Annotated Code of Maryland. HB53, effective July 1, 2012, allows for Workforce Development & Continuing Education students to receive disability waivers.
WD&CE Tuition Waiver Form
- Any resident of Maryland who is out of the workforce because of a permanent disability as defined by the Social Security Act, the Railroad Retirement Act, or in the case of former federal employees, the Office of Personnel Management, and enrolls in a community college class that has at least 10 regularly enrolled students, may be eligible for tuition waiver.
- Individual receiving SSI or SSDI benefits as a dependent or survivor of a disabled beneficiary do not qualify for this waiver.
The Student Will:
- Obtain a Workforce Development & Continuing Education Certification for Tuition Waiver Form (2 page PDF)
- Take the form to the Social Security Administration office that serves your area, or, if appropriate, to the Railroad Retirement Board or the federal agency from which you retired due to disability to have your form signed and certified that you are receiving SSI or SSDI payments and are permanently disabled.
- Return the completed Certification for Tuition Waiver form to one of the Workforce Development & Continuing Education (WD&CE) Customer Service offices (unless you already have a current one on file) along with your registration form and payment prior to the first day of class to be eligible for the tuition waiver.
- The Certification for Tuition Waiver form is only valid for one Academic Year (Academic Year starts with the Fall Semester). Forms must be renewed each August prior to the start of the Fall Semester.
- All awarded grants and scholarships will be applied first to pay your tuition.
- The tuition waiver does not apply to fees
- In accordance with the Maryland General Assembly guideline, Montgomery College will discontinue the tuition waiver if you enroll in a course with less than 10 regularly enrolled students.
WD&CE Tuition Waiver Form
For tuition waiver for students with disabilities for credit programs, please go to www.montgomerycollege.edu/hb104