Health Information Technology, HIT Program
Explore the emerging Health Information Technology field and how the acquisition, storage, retrieval, and use of health data plays a critical role in enhancing the quality of care, reducing the costs of delivery and addressing population health issues. This program will train health care and information technology professionals to be part of the country's emerging health information industry. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics estimates that approximately 50,000 qualified health information technology workers will be needed by 2015.
Highlights of Montgomery College's New Health Information Technology (HIT) Program includes:
Semester 1 (96 Contact Hours)
See schedule of Health Information Technology classes
- Terminology for Health Information Technology Professionals is a comprehensive overview of human body systems and related terminology as well as the terminology used in public health and health information technology settings.
- Health Information Technology - The Culture of US Healthcare addresses job expectations and communication in healthcare settings.
- Information Technology and Computer Sciences in Health Care Part #1 is an introduction to computer hardware, software, and networking and applying those fundamentals through hands-on labs to the implementation and adoption of electronic health records systems.
Semester 2 (96 Contact Hours)
- Information Technology and Computer Sciences in Health Care Part #2
- Installation and Maintenance of Health IT Systems
- Networking and Health Information Exchange
- Configuring Electronic Health Records
- Introduction to Project Management for HIT Professionals
Note: Hands-on labs and experiences will be integrated throughout the program.
Nationally Recognized Certification Exams:
- HIT Pro - Technical / Software Support Staff competency exam
- HIT Pro - Practice Workflow and Information Management Redesign Specialist competency exam
- HIT Pro - Implementation Support Specialist competency exam
- CompTIA - For individuals with 500+ hours of IT experience
What is HIT Pro? HIT Pro is the exam of the Workforce Development program sponsored by the US Department of Health and Human Services
See schedule of Health Information Technology classes.
These courses do not provide instruction for those seeking jobs as medical coders or billers or health information technicians. Please see www.montgomerycollege.edu/him for more information for the credit degree and certificate options in Health Information Management at Takoma Park / Silver Spring campus.