Skip to Main Content
Motorcycle Safety Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Motorcycle Safety FAQs Statistics & Testimonials TSI Brochure
Registration/ Schedule/ Cost

Motorcycle Safety Program, FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions






Registration Related Questions

Q: How do I register?

A: Registration may be done by web, fax, mail, or in-person. Students may register at any WD&CE Customer Service Office. See Registration Information, Options and Policies for more information on Customer Service locations and information on how to register by Web. Registrations will not be accepted early. Please check our BRC or ABRC Registration/ Schedule/ Cost for more information.

Q: What happens if I owe the College money?

A: The College will not allow you to register until all previous financial obligations are resolved.

Q: Do you offer a lottery or stand-by?

A: Yes. Montgomery College offers the Standby process administered by the Motorcycle Training Center Manager through a lottery when registered students do not show up for the course. To participate in the lottery, students should show up 30 minutes prior to the beginning of class. If you are already registered for another class, and others are awaiting a standby slot, those students who are not preregistered for another course have first option if there are any available seats.

Q: Senior Citizen or National Guard Tuition Waiver?

A: To be eligible you must be a resident of Maryland and qualify for in-state tuition according to the College guidelines. Furthermore, you must be at least 60 years old, or retired and disabled as defined by the Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Act. If you are currently a member of the Maryland National Guard and are enlisted for at least a 24 month period, you are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver. You must submit proof of such from the adjutant general's office. Only tuition is waived; required fees must be paid by the student.

Course Related Questions

Q: Can I preview the material for the course?

A: Yes, if you would like to prepare for class ahead of time, the booklet is available online at:  

Q: How do I get access to the eCourse?

A: A week before the class starts you will be emailed a unique coupon code and a URL for the eCourse, along with an information packet. If you register late, contact the Motorcycle Safety Training Center Manager for the information. Contact information is on the bottom of this page.

Q: Where are the classes held?

A: Most classroom sessions are held at GBTC, although a few are held at our Germantown Campus. 
Gaithersburg Business Training Center (GBTC) map  
12 S. Summit Ave., Suite 400, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877 
Monday – Friday: 8:30am - 9:00pm, Saturday: 8:30am - 4:30pm.
Phone: 240-567-1863, Fax: 240-567-1877 
All range sessions will be held at Montgomery College’s leased parking lot, located at: 
14 Firstfield Road Gaithersburg, MD 20878

Q: Can I ride my own motorcycle during the range portion of the course?

A: For all courses, training motorcycles are provided.  A student may use their personal motorcycle if they would like to. Personal motorcycles must be in good operating condition and be transported to the range legally.  Legal methods of transport include:

  1. Having the motorcycle trailered to the range.
  2. Having a Class M learners permit and being accompanied by a licensed rider.
  3. Having a licensed rider bring the motorcycle.

A personal motorcycle must be insured and the owner must assume all liability for its use in the course.  The Program will not be responsible for any damage to the motorcycle as a result of participation.  If you are not properly licensed to operate a motorcycle do not ride it to class. Violators are subject to dismissal from class, or will not receive their course completion documents.  If necessary, law enforcement will be notified.  

Q: What Material does Montgomery College Provide?

A: For all courses, Montgomery College provides the instructors and the necessary course materials. Montgomery College also provides training motorcycles, helmets, gloves, and eye protection—which must be returned at the end of each range session. If you own riding gear, you are encouraged to use it as long as it meets the requirements noted under What do I need to wear for the class?

Class Related Questions

Q: Where do I park?

A: For classroom sessions located at GBTC there is a four story parking garage behind 12 South Summit Ave. Some spaces are restricted; be sure to not park in a reserved space. For classes held at the Germantown Campus, there are parking lots located throughout the campus. You may park in any spot with white lines. You must have a parking pass to park on campus. If you did not receive a parking pass through the mail prior to the start of class, you may download one online through your MyMC account, or visit the security office (located in the SA building Room 282) to receive a temporary pass.

Q: What happens if I’m late?

A: We urge you to be on time! If you are late, you will NOT be admitted to the class! If this occurs, you must request a refund. Refunds must adhere to the college’s 6% date, explained in the refund policy. There is no opportunity in the course to review missed material. The class starts at the time specified according to the Instructor or Training Center Manager. 
Montgomery College is not responsible for traffic, weather or any other condition or circumstance that might cause a participant to be late. It is the student’s responsibility to be on time for each class session. We recommend that you plan to be at the proper location at least 30 minutes prior to the start of class.

Q: What do I need to wear for the class?

A: For the BRC, you will be in the classroom for the 1st day, so wear whatever you are comfortable in. Proper riding apparel will be discussed in class. If you are taking ABRC you should take note of the clothing and the helmet requirements noted below. ABRC students are required to arrive to the range with appropriate riding gear. Failure to do so will result in you being excused from class. As mentioned in What does the Motorcycle Safety Program (MCSP) provide: , helmets, riding gloves, glasses, and training motorcycles are provided.

In order to ride you will need the following (this applies to all classes): 

  • A full face or ¾ face coverage helmet. All helmets must be DOT certified.
  •   A sturdy jacket or heavy long-sleeved shirt, without holes.
  •   Long pants made of sturdy material, without holes.
  •   Over-the-ankle NON-canvas foot ware with a low heel. Hiking boots, or motorcycle specific boots are recommended.
  • Eye protection such as prescription eyeglasses, sunglasses, or goggles.
  • Full fingered gloves. These do not have to be motorcycle riding gloves. 

Your gear must be in good condition with no obvious signs of wear, or damage.  The course instructors will have final say regarding the suitability of a participant’s personal riding gear.
Not recommended: 
1) Cowboy-type boots, or 
2) Shoes with soles over ½” thick 
3) No Women's platform fashion heeled foot ware
For your safety, you will not be allowed to ride if your apparel, as described above, is not appropriate.

Q: Who teaches the class?

A: Instructors who are certified by the Maryland Motorcycle Safety Program (MCSP) and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) teach all classes.

Licensing & Test Related Questions

Q: If I pass this class, do I receive a Motorcycle License?

A:  Successful completion of the BRC or the ABRC qualifies you to receive a completion certificate. This certificate is not a motorcycle license.

Q: What are the requirements for obtaining my Class M License once I receive my certificate from the course?

A: Once a student successfully completes all course requirements (BRC or ABRC) and is a Maryland resident they will be issued a Maryland State Completion Certificate. The student may take this Certificate to a full service MVA Office, pay a fee for an eye exam (in addition to any new licensing fees), and a new license will be issued containing the M endorsement. These Certificates expire 6 months after issuance, and cannot be renewed. Students requesting replacement certificates must get authorization from the MVA Program Director of the Maryland State Motorcycle Safety Program.

Q: If I am active duty military, with an out of state license, what documentation will I receive?

A: In order to ride on military installations, you must show proof of having successfully completed the BRC. The Maryland Completion Card is considered proof. Individuals who pass both the written and riding portion will get a Maryland Completion Card (the business card sized document) to present to your state agency for approval. You will not receive a Completion Certificate (the letter sized document) unless you are licensed in Maryland.

Q: What test do I have to pass?

A:  There are two test that are required for course completion. They are a written knowledge test, and a riding skills test. The written test is presented in multiple choice format. Tests are only administered in English; no other language is available. The skills test will access the techniques that were taught throughout the course.

Q: If I fail a test what do I do?

A:  If you don't pass either the knowledge test or the riding test you will have 30 working days in which to retake the failed portion(s). There is a $35.00 charge to retake the exam(s). A second failure will require that you retake the entire course for the regular fee. You will need to contact the Training Center Manager to schedule the retest.

Special Services/Circumstances Related Questions

Q: What should I do if I have a disability?

A: If you need support services due to a disability, please follow these steps: 
1. Register for a class. 
2. Call 240-567-5266 or e-mail at least four weeks prior to the start of class to arrange for accommodations and/or assistive technology. 
If this procedure is not followed, services may be delayed and you may not be able to participate in the program.

Q: What about the weather?

A: Classes are sometimes affected by the weather. In the case of extreme weather conditions, please check or the College’s main phone number at 240-567-5000, which will indicate if the College (and all of its classes) is closed. Unless the College is closed or you are contacted by Montgomery College, you can expect the course to proceed. On rare occasions heavy rain or strong winds will force a class to be postponed. If that is the case you will be notified, and your class will be rescheduled. Should you have any questions about the course you may contact the Training Center Manager.

Q: Do I need a driver’s license?

A: No, you may take the course without a driver’s license as long as you are 16 years and 7 months. However, you will not be able to obtain the "M" endorsement on your license until you have met certain requirements as outlined in the Maryland Graduated License Program. Students under the age of 18, or those applying for their first driver's license, must complete the Maryland Graduated License Program, before they can apply for a secondary license (such as motorcycle).

Q: What if I’m under 18?

A: If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the MVA/MCSP Release form which will be given out at the first class. You will not be allowed to attend the first range session unless your parent or guardian has signed the release form.

Q: What if I don't speak English?

A: All class content including discussions, text reading, exercises and exams are conducted in English. There are no translators provided. Students can assess their English proficiency by using the ESOL campus testing services prior to registering, call 240-567-7262.

Q: What if I am not a Maryland Resident?

A: Non-Maryland residents will have to pay an additional non-resident fee when they register for the class. Upon the successful completion of the class Non-Maryland resident students will receive a completion card, not a certificate. Maryland completion cards may or may not be acceptable to other states.

Q: If I cannot finish the class, will I get a refund?

The circumstances that qualify a student for a refund are expressed in our refund policy.

If you have further questions, please contact one of our staff via the contact information at the bottom of this page.


Contact Us:
  • Sharon Maxwell, CPP, Program Director, Transportation Safety
  • Alejandra Isaia-Herera, Program Coordinator TSI, CDL and Driver Education
  • John Amoroso , Motorcycle Training Center Manager
  • Customer Service
  • Montgomery College WD&CE
  • 51 Mannakee Street
  • Rockville, MD 20850

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2018, Montgomery College