A P Summer Institute: Government & Politics (U.S.)
Summer Institute Agenda—AP Govt.
- Content that is necessary for student success on the exam
- Review, over four days, of the major content areas as outlined in Acorn book.
- Choosing texts and resources
- Participants will review web resources for AP Government
- Participants will review various textbooks adopted for use in the course
- Technology and AP Government
- Grading AP essays using past rubrics from AP questions
- Teaching strategies for successful exam results
- Constructing tests
- Constructing essays, including those based on some type of data or political cartoon.
- AP Audit
- AP Central
Best Practices Session
- Participants will share their best practices
Government & Politics (US). Instructor: Kathleen Hauger
Kathleen Hauger recently retired from the position of Social Studies Chair at Abington Senior High School in Pennsylvania. She oversaw the revision of the Social Studies curriculum at Abington to include a Civics and Government course for all students. As an AP US Government and Politics teacher of 25 years, she has been a reader for the exam and a AP Faculty Consultant for over twenty years. She has served as a consultant in numerous One Day Institutes as well as Summer Institutes in the Middle States area. She was also a Start Up Grant Consultant for the College Board. She is active in local politics and currently serves as President of her local School Board.
The workshop provides participants an overview of the basic structure and content necessary for the Advanced Placement course in US Government and Politics. The instructor will focus on the development of content for each of the six units included in the course outline, as well as the use of essential questions, course objectives, learning activities, teaching strategies, and the interplay of multiple resources. Emphasis will be placed on preparing students for the AP® examination. An analysis of past AP® examinations will be included as well as a review of the standards established for grading the annual exams.. Critical thinking skills, analysis, and interpretation will be employed to understand traditional and evolving American ideas, beliefs, institutions and interest groups. Relevant documents, resources, texts and multimedia materials are utilized to enhance fuller appreciation of course challenges. Participants will gain a clear understanding of the fundamentals of US Government and Politics and the creation of an AP course curriculum.