Volunteers Needed for Maryland Science Bowl Competition 2014!
Montgomery College will again host the Maryland High School Science Bowl Competition for 2014 on January 18, at the Rockville Campus. The winner of this regional competition advances to the National Science Bowl in Washington, D.C.
Interest in Maryland's Science Bowl has grown tremendously. This year promises to be our best competition and we anticipate 30 teams representing counties from across the state at Montgomery College-Rockville on January 18.
Rockville High School earned the title of Maryland Regional Champion in 2013.
We hope to attract several high school teams that will compete for the first time for the chance to represent Maryland at the 24rd Annual National Science Bowl Competition sponsored by the U. S. Department of Energy on April 24 - 28, 2014, in Washington, DC.
Without the help of volunteers, science bowl competitions could not thrive. Accordingly, we need your help to make Maryland's event a success and to encourage students to pursue science and math.
Volunteer training sessions take place in December and January. Expect detailed information via e-mail in the upcoming weeks about training/review session dates, times, and location.
We truly appreciate your willingness to volunteer! Let us know of your intent by Monday, December 2. Also, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or ideas that could enhance the success of the competition.
Volunteers may register by submitting the requested information through the Volunteer Registration Form.
Volunteer Competition Officials should attend a traingin session especially if this will be the first time as an official. Training sessions will be scheduled in December and January.
During the competitions, volunteer officials are assigned to conduct matches in competition rooms:
- Reads questions to teams. Must be comfortable with science terms, reading out loud.
- Must review all questions before competition for errors and meet with other moderators and science judges for question review before competition begins.
- Science/engineering/math background required.
Science Judge (PDF)
- Assists Moderator
- Must review all questions before competition for errors and meet with other science judges and moderators for question review before competition begins.
- Science/engineering/math background required
|Rules Judge (PDF)
- Enforces rules of the game. Assures the teams are treated fairly during competition.
- Keeps match time on competition clock and tracks question response time with stop watch.
- Age 16 or older
- Keeps match scores. Must be comfortable entering numbers in Excel spreadsheet.
- Age 15 or older
Picks up scores from matches and takes to scoring room.