IT Hardware & Software Acquisitions
- What types of software/hardware technology can employees request through IT?
- What types of software/hardware technology requests are not processed through IT?
- If department funds are being used to pay for hardware and software requests, do I still need to submit a request form to OIT?
- Where are the hardware and software request forms located?
- Where do I send the request forms?
- Can hardware and software forms be submitted electronically?
- How do I get a Blackberry, cell phone or pager?
- How can I check the status of a request?
- How can I get a price quote for hardware or software?
- When does a request require VP/Provost approval?
- When do I need the Campus IT Manager review?
- What should I put in the justification section?
- What if my request is not on the list of standard equipment?
- Why must I contact the OIT Resource Management group to acquire technology hardware and software?
- Do College employees receive discounts for purchases of hardware/software for personal use?
- My desktop is being replaced–what happens to the old computer? Can I buy it for personal use?
- Is my request in the Collegewide Strategic Plan (CWSP)?
1. What types of software/hardware technology can employees request through IT?
All software requests (whether instructional or administrative) must be processed through IT Resource Management.
The following are examples of hardware requests (instructional and administrative) that should be submitted to IT Resource Management regardless of funding source:
- All computers
- Wall (or ceiling)-mounted projectors
- Peripheral computer devices such as scanners, graphic tablets and wall-mounted LCD screens
- Technology in support of academic programs
For questions about acquiring technology, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. What types of software/hardware technology requests are not processed through IT?
The following are examples of items that are not reviewed or purchased for departments:
- Office furniture
- Fax machines
- Transparency projectors
3. If department funds are being used to purchase hardware and software, do I still need to submit a request form to OIT?
Yes. All technology acquisitions are inventoried and reviewed for compatibility in the College's technology environment. Software acquisitions are reviewed for license compliance and entered into the College's software library database.
4. Where are the hardware and software request forms located?
The forms are located at http://cms.montgomerycollege.edu/oitforms/#sw_hw.
5. Where do I send the request forms?
Completed forms with appropriate approvals should be sent to the attention of IT Resource Management, OITB Suite 310.
6. Can hardware and software forms be submitted electronically?
No. At this time forms must be submitted in hard copy.
7. How do I get a Blackberry, cell phone or pager?
Personal digital devices such as Blackberries, cell phones and pagers are obtained through the IT Voice Services Group. For information, go to their webpage at http://cms.montgomerycollege.edu/voice/.
8. How can I check the status of a request?
You may check the status of your software or hardware request by e-mailing email@example.com or calling ext. 73210.
9. How can I get a price quote for hardware or software?
You can get a price quote by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling ext. 73210.
10. When does a request require VP/Provost approval?
If the total cost of the request is over $200, it must have the approval of the VP/Provost at your assigned campus.
11. When do I need the Campus IT Manager review?
Instructional hardware and software requests (for use in labs or classrooms) require review by the Campus IT Manager for your assigned campus.
12. What should I put in the justification section?
Please provide a full description of the need the requested item(s) will meet. For requests outside of the standard configurations, please list any software or hardware requirements and the specific tasks for which they are required. If you are requesting an item as a disability accommodation, the request must be approved by Human Resources (contact Rowena D’Souza).
13. What if my request is not on the list of standard equipment?
Established standards for hardware and software (for desktop and notebook computers, peripheral computer equipment, data networking and audio/visual equipment) have been developed to assure efficient, cost-effective information technology equipment that is compatible with the College's technology environment. If you have questions regarding specific technology standards, please send an e-mail to the IT Resource Management mailbox (email@example.com) or call ext. 73210.
Requests for nonstandard hardware and software must include justification and approval by the unit administrator(s). These requests must also be assessed by OIT for compatibility with network and system requirements prior to final approval.
14. Why must I contact the OIT Resource Management group to acquire technology hardware and software?
The Office of Information Technology assists users in acquiring their hardware and software needs. Acquisitions made through OIT assure technology assets
- meet IT standards for quality and reliability
- are supported by OIT technical staff
- are inventoried for future replacement
15. Do College employees receive discounts for purchases of hardware/software for personal use?
Please see our Personal Purchase guidelines at http://cms.montgomerycollege.edu/oit/Purchasing.aspx?id=321 for current information regarding personal purchases.
16. My desktop is being replaced, what happens to the old computer? Can I buy it for personal use?
Intechra, formerly Retrobox, is the College's disposal/recycling company and offers used equipment (PC's, monitors, laptops, printers and servers) at fair market value with a warranty. For instructions, please review the Employee Purchase Program Guide.
17. Is my request in the Collegewide Strategic Plan (CWSP)?
The College’s Office of the Vice President for Planning and Institutional Effectiveness (http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/planning/) coordinates the Collegewide strategic planning processes and the development of the Collegewide Strategic Plan (CWSP). The Information Technology Strategic Plan (ITSP) is developed in support of the College's strategic direction and plan. Future year requests for technology equipment/requirements are to be included in each campus or unit strategic plan. If you are unsure whether or not your equipment or software submission to the strategic plan was approved, please contact your Dean or Unit Administrator.