I am the solution...to keeping my online image and information private!
Spending time on one of the many social networking sites available today is great fun and an easy
way to connect with people, share common interests, and keep up with news. By
simply setting up a membership profile, sharing photos and creating short blurts of text,
you can reach out to a large number of people and share a great deal of information in a fast and easy way. Sound pretty good, doesn’t it? But wait,
there’s just might be one more thing to consider.
If you’re not careful, it's easy to share more about yourself
than you may want to, or you may end up sharing with someone you didn’t expect to.
Knowledgeable users quickly agree that you need to be smart when
you engage in social networking online and make sure your security and privacy settings work to protect you. Your privacy and image (current and
future) are at stake and need to be protected. The good news is that it doesn’t
take a lot of work to do this. You just have to follow some basic rules.
- never share your password.
- modify your default privacy and profile settings. Take control of
your account and information from the start and stay current.
- always know who you are dealing with when you give someone access
to your account. They can use what they find any way they want once they have
- never share or post personal information about yourself. It's
personal for a reason!
- think twice when posting photos. What seems funny today may not
be so funny tomorrow. Don't give others the wrong impression of you.
- watch what you say about others. It may come back to haunt you.
- don't assume that when you delete a photo or text it doesn't
exist somewhere else. Anyone who had access to your account could have copied
- read the site FAQs and other HELP information and learn the site
conditions. Be aware of updates. Know what the rules are!