Meeting - Feb. 12, 2015: Dell's VDI and Response Cards
The Learning Technologies Committee will feature two outstanding presentations at its Thursday, Feb. 12 meeting in Room PK 105 Germantown beginning at 3 p.m.
Dell will present its cloud-based virtual desktop service offering (VDI). The Office of Information Technology plans to conduct a VDI proof-of-concept to identify and test potential use-cases at the College. Once implemented, VDI can provide students and faculty access to College-owned software applications. Following the presentation will be a question-and-answer session.
Anthony Solano, distance counselor and professor at the Germantown campus, will demonstrate the use of Turning Point Technologies Response Cards, often referred to as “clickers”. Professor Solano is currently using the clickers in a BIOL 150: Principles of Biology and STSU 110: Study Habits Development Learning Community as an active learning strategy for engaging students and improving student outcomes. Student interaction is encouraged through the use of anonymous polling and providing aggregated feedback displayed as graphs and projected on a large screen for students to see. Attend to explore the pedagogical benefits and understand how you too can integrate clickers in your classroom lectures to encourage active participation of your students.
All faculty and staff are invited!
Pinterest for Faculty
"Pinterest is a pinboard-style social photo sharing website that allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections such as events, interests, hobbies, and more." (Pinterest 2012). Instructors can begin using Pinterest to access inspiring images and to gather ideas and information. Some uses in education include creating lesson plans, sharing resources with students, and organizing content by categories. Instructors and students can create visually appealing bulletin boards; pin interesting and informative items; and share with others through the use of email, Blackboard, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social networks. A free Pinterest mobile app is available for both Android and iOS mobile devices (iPod, iPad, and iPhone) to facilitate pinning on the go with the use of device cameras.
The Learning Technologies Committee:
* Promotes the use of technology in support of teaching and learning.
* Identifies emerging technologies for enhancing teaching and learning to the College community for potential piloting
* Reviews proposals from the College community to test new technology for piloting and adoption.
* Advises and reports to the Executive Technology Steering Committee.
* Recommends pilot projects to the Executive Technology Steering Committee for approval.
* Shares information in coordination with the Applications Advisory Group.
* Determines outcomes, tracks and assesses data to determine if outcomes were met in adoption post-pilot phase.
* Discusses and considers full usage of available technical functions of College instructional software and systems.