Montgomery College assesses new students to determine their reading, English and math skills. Your scores help counselors and academic advisors recommend courses that are appropriate for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Placement Testing Process for New Students
1. Submit an application for admission before scheduling assessment tests.
2. Determine which assessment test is the right one for you or if you are exempt.
- You may take the English and reading sections of the Accuplacer separately from the mathematics section.
- New students who did not learn American English as their first language or who did not attend at least 10 years of school (elementary, middle, high school) in the United States -- U.S. citizens and residents as well as international students -- must take the ESL Accuplacer test to determine English and reading skills.
- View a full list of test exemptions.
- Who must take assessment testing?
3. Schedule your assessment.
- Each campus schedules its own tests.
- Contact the assessment center on the campus you will be attending.
- If you require accommodations for testing or coursework due to a disability, contact Disability Support Services at the Campus you plan to attend.
4. Take your assessment test.
- If you are taking the ESL Accuplacer, arrive 15 minutes early.
- Bring your photo ID and student identification number (from letter of acceptance).
- Photo ID must be U.S. issued or an international passport.
5. Obtain your results by completing an Advising & Planning Program (eMAP, MAP or IMAP).
- You must bring one form of photo identification (ID) to the ~2-hour advising session.
- You’ll schedule a date and time to attend an IMAP or MAP/eMAP advising session when you take your test.
- If you are exempt from the MC assessment, call the campus that you will be attending to schedule the advising session:
- Germantown - 240-567-7734
- Rockville - 240-567-5088/5063
- Takoma Park/Silver Spring - 240-567-1555
6. Be sure to:
- You must bring a U.S.-issued photo ID or a passport.
- Know your Montgomery College Student ID # for all placement and academic testing.
- Please note: At the Rockville Assessment Center all test materials will be collected 15 minutes before closing time.
- Your English & Reading scores are valid for two (2) years and your Math scores are valid for one (1) year.
- EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES FOR FEDERAL-WORK-STUDY (FWS). If you meet the FWS and job requirements please contact the Rockville Assessment Center, and ask for Toro Oladokun (240) 567-4186.
Assessment & Placement
Academic Course Testing
Faculty may arrange for students to take makeup, retake, and special accommodations tests in the Assessment Centers.