Procedure for MCPS Visits to Montgomery College Libraries
Requests from area middle and high schools for library instruction in support of academic research projects can be accommodated at all three of Montgomery College's Campus Libraries. We carefully balance outreach with our primary mission of serving Montgomery College students and faculty. All requests to visit will be subject to available accommodations and filled on a first come, first served basis. Montgomery College librarians will confirm by e-mail that we received your request and will give it every possible consideration.
To request a library instruction session at any of the three campuses, please fill out our online request form at least one month in advance of the date: MCPS Request for a Visit to the MC Libraries. The MCPS library media specialist will be the MC librarian's primary contact.
NOTE: If classes at MCPS or Montgomery College are cancelled or there is a delayed opening/early closing due to inclement weather on the day of a scheduled visit, the trip will not occur. The MC Librarian will work with the MCPS library media specialist to reschedule.
Library Resources at Montgomery College
Montgomery College Libraries can provide a library instruction session focused on undergraduate-level research resources, including databases and print collections. We do not conduct tours of the library.
An instruction session at Montgomery College Libraries should not be the first, nor the primary, library instruction session for your students. Please work with your school library media specialist before requesting a session at Montgomery College; there may be many rich resources easily available to your students through their own library. In addition, background research and work done on focusing a topic before coming to Montgomery College will make your students’ visit more productive.
Our collection and electronic resources exist to support the curriculum of Montgomery College. Current Montgomery College students, faculty, and staff have priority access to all Library resources.
- MC Library Catalog: Anyone is able to access the MC Library Catalog online. In order to check books out of any campus library, students will need community borrower cards. Indicate on the Request Form that you would like students to have Community Borrower Cards. You will be sent card application forms, which will be mailed to you prior to the instruction session. Students under the age of 18 will need this form to be signed by a parent or guardian. NOTE: Card applications must be returned to the appropriate MC Library two weeks before the day of the visit in order to be processed.
- A-Z List of Databases: This link provides access to a complete list of our databases, with descriptions of their coverage. MCPS students can only access these databases if they are on one of the three campuses. We cannot provide them with passwords for off-campus access.
Logistics & Requirements
While each campus library has a different setup and may be able to make different accommodations, there are some common guidelines for visits. Please read the General Information below, as well as specific information relating to the campus you would like to visit. If the campus of your choice is not able to accommodate your visit, you will be referred to a different Montgomery College Library.
- Assignment and Research Topics: Please provide the Montgomery College librarian with a full description of the assignment that students will be working on at the time of their visit and a list of topics that they will be researching, at least two weeks prior to the visit. If this information has not been received, Montgomery College Libraries may cancel the instruction session.
- Montgomery College Libraries are not legally responsible for personal injury or property loss that may occur while students are on campus. Please also note that campus computers are not filtered.
- Chaperones must be present at each library instruction session. Plan to have two adults (any combination of teachers and chaperones) in each computer lab. According to Montgomery College Procedure #75005CP, children under 16 who are not students of the College must be chaperoned at all times.
- Schools are responsible for making their own parking arrangements; however, parking on each campus is very limited. Contact the appropriate Campus Security Supervisor for more information (contacts listed below, by campus).
- Students may return to the library after the instruction session, individually or in small groups, any time that we are open. Please remind students to be considerate of others studying in the library.
Contact Maisha Duncan at email@example.com or 240-567-7855 for specific information. To request a visit, fill out the online Request Form.
- The library at the Germantown campus has access to the Reference Room (34 computer stations) and HS203 (18 computer stations) that can accommodate a total of 52 students. All visits are subject to the availability of these areas.
- The length of the visit may be up to four hours. A lunch break will be allowed if needed. The cafeteria is located on the bottom floor of the Humanities building, where the library is located.
- Most Fridays are available to schedule a visit. Visits can be scheduled any time the College is in session.
- Parking Contact: 240-567-7777
Contact Niyati Pandya at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-567-4130 for specific information. To request a visit, fill out the online Request Form.
- The library at the Rockville Campus has access to one computer lab for library instruction that can accommodate 30 students. All visits are subject to the availability of the instruction lab and College librarians.
- The length of each visit should be no more than three hours. Library instruction sessions should take place during the early morning or afternoon, not over the lunch hour. The instruction lab is more likely to be available on Fridays than any other day of the week.
- Visits can be scheduled in late November, early December, early January, April, May, and June.
- Parking Contact: 240-567-5110
Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus
Contact Jenny Hatleberg at email@example.com or 240-567-1685 for specific information. To request a visit, fill out the online Request Form.
- The library at Takoma Park/Silver Spring has access to one computer lab for library instruction, which can accommodate 20 students. All visits are subject to the availability of this instruction lab and College librarians.
- The length of each visit should be no more than two hours; however, it may be possible to schedule more than one visit per day (since group size is limited). Library instruction sessions should take place during the early morning or afternoon, not over the lunch hour. The instruction lab is more likely to be available on Fridays than any other day of the week.
- Visits can be scheduled in November, December, April, May, and June.
- Parking Contact: 240-567-1319