Academic service-Learning projects can be integrated into courses through reflection assignments and assessments that help faculty measure student learning outcomes.
Academic Service-Learning is:
- A teaching method using community service that addresses real community needs and reflection assignments that integrate service with learning outcome
- A high impact approach linked to higher GPAs, increased student retention, and enhanced civic engagement
- A form of active learning that values critical thinking and problem solving
- A great hands-on experience for students in any discipline
The Service-Learning Coordinators have supported faculty across the College, as well as programs like Learning Communities, First-Year Experience, and Summer Bridge.
REQUEST SUPPORT FOR A CLASS
We offer various level of support, including help:
- Developing new courses or a service-learning assignment for existing course
- Creating related reflection activities and assessment materials
- Identifying service-learning partners
- Training and preparing students to serve
- Helping students find appropriate sites
- Coordinating a class day of service
To get started, submit a request for support here.
Montgomery College’s Service-Learning Program offers opportunities in and out of the classroom for you to meet new people, learn new skills, and make a difference for a day, week, or semester at a time.
Sign up for a day of service, on-campus project, opportunity in the community, Alternative Break, or service-learning course today.
TRACK YOUR SERVICE-LEARNING HOURS TO EARN AWARDS
Record your service-learning hours with us to be eligible for the College’s Spirit of Service Certificate (20-99 hours) & Medallion (100+ hours).
Get started tracking your service-learning hours at montgomerycollege.edu/givepulse
NEW TO GIVEPULSE?
Learn more about setting up your account and tracking your impacts (hours) here.
Are you a nonprofit, school, or government agency interested in partnering with the College? Do you have an established volunteer program or need support for a particular project?
We can help you connect with service-learning courses, student clubs & organizations, and independent student volunteers.
We also offer opportunities to recruit volunteers at networking events and our Fall and Spring semester Volunteer Fairs.
Contact us to learn more about working with student volunteers and faculty.