Academic planning is the process of setting your educational goals and determining the best path to meet them. It is critical that you play an active role in this process from start to finish during your time at Montgomery College.
Below is a helpful guide for Academic Planning. Remember your Counselor/Faculty Advisor is available to help you stay on track and reach your goals.
You Should Be Able To...
Recommended Action Steps
- Begin to understand your responsibilities as a college student
- Locate and use campus support resources.
- Establish a connection with a Counselor/Faculty Advisor.
- Review your academic plan in Starfish.
- Identify your interests, skills, and values to assist you in formulating goals.
- Make a tentative educational plan.
- Identify a major that is compatible with your interests, skills and values.
- Review and modify your educational plan, as needed.
- If appropriate, access information to help you plan for transfer to a four-year college/university.
- Declare a major with Admissions and Records.
- Make an appointment with a Counselor or Faculty Advisor in your major to go over your educational plan.
- If appropriate, attend Transfer Day and review the Montgomery College Transfer web site.
- Update your academic plan.
- Define an exit plan from Montgomery College (graduation, employment or transfer).
- Make the transition out of Montgomery College.
- Take steps toward your transitional goal (graduation, employment or transfer).