Skip to Main Content

Academic Suspension

Polices and Procedures

Students placed on academic suspension are those whom have attempted 30 college-level credits and have a cumulative GPA of less than 1.25.  As a result, students with this status are prohibited from attending classes at Montgomery College for an entire fall or spring semester.  To be removed from academic suspension, students must sit out for one full semester or submit an appeal to the Dean of Student Affairs.  Upon returning from the one semester period of suspension or if an appeal is granted, students will be placed on academic restriction and are eligible to take 6 credits under the guidance of a counselor.  See the statuses and steps below for more details.


Question: I am a student on academic suspension and I have not sat out for one full semester.  What can I do?

Question: I am a student on on academic suspension and I have sat out for one full semester.

What to do:

Answer: A student on academic suspension who has not sat out one full semester, will have a hold placed on his or her account prohibiting the ability to register for one full semester (fall or spring).  Upon returning, the student will be required to meet with a counselor in order to register and have the hold removed.


If you feel that there are extenuating circumstances as to why you should be allowed to continue taking courses without sitting out, you may appeal your academic status to the Dean of Student Affairs. To do so, complete the following steps:


  1. Make an appointment with a counselor on the campus where you wish to take courses to talk about your appeal. You can make an appointment through the  Counseling and Advising Network. If you need help making an appointment, feel free to visit the Welcome Center or contact our Response Center at 240-567-5000.
  2. After your appointment, you will be referred to our online  Academic Suspension Appeal Form to submit your appeal.
  3. Once you have completed the online form, the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs will contact you to setup an appointment. 

Answer: A student who has sat out for one full semester (fall or spring), can meet with a  Counselor on the campus for which he or she would like to take courses.  After working with a counselor, the student's status will be changed to "academic restriction" and the student will be eligible to register (typically up to two courses) for that semester.

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2018, Montgomery College