Skip to Main Content
Apply for a new I-20 from Outside the United States

Deadlines for requesting a form I-20 from Montgomery College

  • June 1 for FALL semester (classes begin early September).  I-20s cannot be issued before early April. UNTIL April 15th, $25 application fee is waived   
  • October 1  for SPRING semester (classes begin late January).  I-20s cannot be issued before late September
  • Students are expected to arrive 4 to 6 weeks before classes begin for Advising, Registration, and Orientation.
  • I-20s are not issued to begin studies in summer sessions

Montgomery College I-20 application process for degree-seeking AND non-credit ESL program students.

Complete the following steps and submit all materials to the Montgomery College campus you wish to attend prior to the deadline.

Please Note: All documents should be ORIGINALS (unless otherwise approved by the International Coordinator's Office)  and must be in English or accompanied by a Certified English Translation.

Step 1: Apply to Montgomery College  (SUBMIT THE APPLICATION FORM TO THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS AND RECORDS FIRST.  Other documents can be sent after the Application form)

Submit an Admissions Application (PDF - 425 KB) and pay a $25 (check or money order) non-refundable application fee*. 

At this time, students requesting an I-20 for F-1 visa/status must complete and personally sign a paper application (use the link to the PDF above) and cannot use the College on-line application system.  The Application and fee must be submitted together* directly to the Office of Admissions and Records (in person submissions go to the "Registrar's Office") for the campus you wish to attend (see address information in Step 7 below).  

*Students may send the application to another person to submit it to the College with payment.  Please do NOT send the application to the College without payment as we cannot match payment received separately with an application form.

Note: The Montgomery College Health Information Management program CANNOT ACCEPT F-1 students because the program is offered mostly On-Line so cannot conform to government F-1 regulations.


Step 2: Provide Supplement Information

Submit a Supplemental Information for I-20 Request (PDF - 13.36KB) form.  This includes specific information needed for the I-20.  If you wish the College to speak with a 'third party' (someone other than the student, such as a family member, friend, sponsor, or educatrional agent) about your application, you must complete and sign the section on this form to give us that person's name and contact information.

Step 3: Provide proof of College Level or High School graduation

All documents must be in English (Translation Services). If translated, submit the original or a certified copy of the native language version together with a certified English translation.  (Originals received by the International Coordinators will be available in the student's file to be returned to the student)

Submit an original or certified copy of ONE of the following (Student MAY be asked to submit a Credential Evaluation in addition):

Step 4: Provide evidence of English Language Proficiency with ONE of the following (required for all applicants):

  • Transferable credit from a U.S. College or University for a first-year English composition course equivalent to EN101 at Montgomery College.  **Have an official transcript sent directly to Montgomery College by the U.S. College or University.
  • Students who have not studied at a U.S. College or University - see Required Testing for Students Outside the U.S. 

Note: Applicants from abroad must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or SAT.   An Official Score Report should be sent by the testing organization to Montgomery College.  (TOEFL only campus codes are: Germantown 5393, Rockville 5440, Takoma Park/Silver Spring 5414)

Please contact our office with any questions about other methods of submitting test scores. 

Step 5: Provide evidence of financial support.  Persons sponsoring a student must complete four (4) steps; completing two forms and providing two pieces of supporting documentation.  Please visit BOTH of these sites:

  • Evidence of Financial Support 
    Includes Affidavit or promise of support from any sponsor, signed Sponsor Obligations document, and financial documents proving savings for first year of study and ability to continue support during full length of study.  See Evidence of Financial support page for details 
  • Estimated Annual College Costs for International Students 
    The costs that appear on the I-20 showing the most reasonable estimate the College has for both academic expenses and living expenses for each calendar year of study.  Please Note: Montgomery College does NOT have dormitories or provide housing.

To translate any document in English into U.S., you may visit Translation Services.

Step 6: Transfer credits from outside the U.S. (Submit with Application ONLY if needed to prove College level) 

Anticipate the Transfer of Credit process to take up to seven (7) weeks.

Step 7: Mail above documentation the Office of Admissions and Records of the campus you wish to attend

Germantown Campus
Rockville Campus
Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus

Office of Admissions and Records
Attn: International Student Coordinator
20200 Observation Drive
Germantown, MD 20876

Office of Admissions and Records
Attn: International Student Coordinator
51 Mannakee Street
Rockville, MD 20850

Office of Admissions and Records
Attn: International Student Coordinator
7600 Takoma Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912

For EXPRESS MAIL OPTIONS (DHL, FEDEX, etc.) you have two options: 

Specify the Coordinator (by name) or "Office of the International Coordinator" and the campus you applied to. Please include your name (and student ID number if you know it)

1) Send your application and financial documents to Montgomery College. Send documents by Express Mail – Montgomery College uses an express mail service that allows you to send documents to us through DHL, FedEx or UPS in 3-5 days.   Sending your documents through express mail is at YOUR expense and your credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover cards only) will be charged upon requesting the service. To request express mailing of your documents, go to the following website (works best with Internet Explorer & Mozilla Firefox browsers). 

Click for Express Mail

On the button above, you have to follow these steps:

  • Register and activate your account - It's free!

  • Log in using your registered email and password

  • Click the "Send a Package" option

  • Select Montgomery College and then the Rockville International Coordinator department (even if you are applying for Germantown or Takoma Park/Silver Spring)

  • Enter address information and pay the mailing cost online

  • Request control number and obtain further instructions

  • Print airway bill / authorization letter and drop off your package at the closest FedEx station

  • Consider it done


2)Send by Regular Overseas Mail - Overseas mail can take 4-6 weeks. 

If you want to use regular overseas mail, PLEASE USE THE MAILING ADDRESS OF YOUR CAMPUS ABOVE.

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2018, Montgomery College