Skip to Main Content
Survivors and Dependents Assistance

Chapter 35: Survivors & Dependents Educational Assistance

Children and spouses of military service members may qualify for Dependents' Educational Assistance [DEA]. Through DEA, students are offered up to 45 months of education benefits which may be used for degree/certificate programs. Spouses may take a correspondence course. Remedial, refresher, and deficiency courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

To apply for Chapter 35:

  1. Submit form VA form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance, to the VA.
  2. The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility, you must submit a copy of your certificate to the VA Coordinator,   

Please refer to the 
DEA-VA Website for more information, including eligibility.

Note: All students wishing to enroll into VA Education Benefits at Montgomery College must submit a Certification Request for VA Benefits to the VA Coordinator.

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2018, Montgomery College