Chapter 30 & 1606: Montgomery GI Bill
The Montgomery GI Bill [MGIB] is available for both active duty and Selected Reserves.
Under Chapter 30, active duty military members enroll into MGIB and pay $100 per month for 12 months. Once you have completed a minimum service obligation with your branch, you are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit.
To Apply for MGIB-AD:
1. Complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits and submit it to the VA.
2. The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility, you must bring a copy to the VA Coordinator at Montgomery College.
Under Chapter 1606, a Selected Reservist member must be actively drilling and have a 6 year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
To Apply for MGIB-SR:
1. Your unit will give you DD form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility, when you are eligible for MGIB-SR. The VA will verify your eligibility after your unit codes you into the Department of Defense personnel system.
2. Complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits and submit it to the VA.
3. The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility, you must bring a copy to the VA Coordinator at Montgomery College.
For more information about MGIB, visit the Montgomery GI Bill-VA Website.
Note: All students wishing to enroll into VA Education Benefits at Montgomery College must submit a Certification Request for VA Benefits to the VA Coordinator.