Quality Matters (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses and online components.
Sponsored by MarylandOnline, Inc, Quality Matters has generated widespread interest and received national recognition for its peer-based approach to quality assurance and continuous improvement in online education.
Originating from a FIPSE grant, Quality Matters is now a self-supporting organization offering institutional subscriptions and a range of fee-based services including Quality Matters-managed course reviews and an array of trainings.
How will my institution benefit from implementing Quality Matters?
Quality Matters processes benefit both individual faculty and their institutions in the following ways:
- Improved student learning outcomes and retention
- Adoption of a systematic and comprehensive continuous quality assurance process that includes faculty training, course development, and course revisions that are aligned with accreditation standards
- Incorporation of new technologies and research findings
- Opportunity to engage in benchmarking activities with peer institutions
- Ongoing faculty professional development
- Increased flexibility, creativity, and divergent thinking
- Increased efficiency in using institutional resources