Skip to Main Content


Transfer Advising Notes for Education Majors

Associate of Arts in Teaching:

Community college students in Maryland can earn  the Associate of Arts in Teaching, available in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Secondary Education in a variety of fields. These degrees provide a clear transfer pathway to the education programs at any college or university in Maryland. Visit the MC School of Education website for more information.  

Getting Started

  • Meet with an advisor in the Education Program at your campus to select the appropriate degree program for your teaching field   If your desired major does not have an AAT degree (eg, Social Studies teaching), work with an advisor to create an educational transfer plan based on your intended transfer school.
  • Take courses as provided in your selected AAT program. 
  • Continue to meet with an adviser regularly to get assistance with choosing classes.
  • Plan to attend transfer fairs at MC, especially the annual Education Transfer Fair, held every October, where you can connect with multiple colleges and universities with teacher education programs.
  • Visit  possible four-year schools as early as possible to discuss their education programs.  Go on a campus admissions tour and contact the Education Department of each school directly to talk about visiting and getting advised.  

    Career Information:
  1. Maryland Department of Education Certification Requirements & Information.
  2., test dates, sample tests.
  3. Montgomery County Public Schools Employment Page
  4. What Else Can You Do with a Degree in Education?

The Occupational Outlook Handbook: 

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2019, Montgomery College