Disability Support Services at the MC Libraries
The Montgomery College Libraries are committed to providing equal access to information services for all students, staff, faculty, and community patrons, and observe the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Library staff provide reasonable accommodations for patrons with disabilities.
Access and Facilities
- The Rockville and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Libraries have automatic doors for entrance and exit.
- Elevators are available for access to different floors. At the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Library (RC 215), ask for staff assistance at the Circulation Desk (the elevator requires a key).
- Accessible areas meet ADA requirements; however, some areas may not be easily reached. Please ask for assistance at the Circulation Desk to be accommodated in these areas. Wherever possible, comparable services are provided in accessible areas. Circulation and Reference Desks have been designed to accommodate persons who use wheelchairs or who need to sit while service is being provided.
Assistive Technology Areas
Assistive Technology Areas (ATA) contain equipment to assist patrons with learning disabilities, or patrons with special visual, auditory, or mobility needs.
Students who need to use TTY for outgoing calls will find these phones near the Security office on each campus, in the Rockville Campus Center, or in the Guldelsky Institute.
The Germantown, Rockville, and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Libraries each have:
- Sorensen Video Relay Service (VRS): A free service for hearing impaired patrons that enables them to conduct video relay calls with faculty and/or staff through a certified American Sign Language interpreter.
- Computer Workstation: Equipped with an oversized monitor. Also has assistive technology:
- JAWS: A screen reader, with Braille support, that includes an internal software speech synthesizer reading aloud what appears on the screen
- VTEK: Enlarges print material
- Kurzweil 3000 Reader: Translates print from the computer screen to audio
- Zoomtext: Enlarges and enhances everything on the computer screen
- Scanner: Digitizes print so that it can be viewed on assistive machines
- Furniture: Height adjustable
- Video cassette and DVD players with closed captioning. Please note the Library makes every effort to purchase Closed Captioned videos, but some videos are not available in Closed Captioned versions.
The following Libraries have additional assistive technology:
- Audio cassette players, four track audio cassette players, and compact disk players. Patrons are required to bring their own headphones.
- Aladdin XL: Enlarges text from print sources.
Takoma Park/Silver Spring (RC)
- Aladdin GeniePro: Enlarges text from print sources.
Cafritz Arts Center (CF)
- No assistive technology is available in the Cafritz Arts Center Library at this time.
All Library personnel are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to patrons with disabilities. Library staff is available to help with the use of assistive technology equipment. We provide the following services, if needed:
- Retrieval of books and other materials from the stacks.
- Assistance in the use of photocopiers, microfilm reader/printers, and other library equipment.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) of special needs materials.
- Short term loans of most reference and/or reserve materials. You must obtain the permission of a DSS counselor and a librarian to check out reference materials. You must obtain the permission of a DSS counselor and an instructor to check out reserve materials.
- The Circulation Desk will place materials on hold for patrons who have difficulty transporting materials.
- The Library staff will read brief passages of reference materials and/or assist users with resources, including automated systems, within the reference area.
Please Note: Students who need services beyond what the Library staff is trained to provide and accommodate are requested to make prior arrangements with a DSS counselor.
Contact Disability Support Services (DSS) on your campus for more information about DSS orientation and training.