Skip to Main Content

Transfer Times - December 2013


1.     Look for a Transfer Admissions Application on each school's website – different from a Freshman application.  Most require an essay describing why you wish to transfer and explaining academic challenges and/or future goals, or ask you to write about a specific topic.  Follow the directions, stick to the number of words required, and have someone read over your essay before you hit Submit.  If your transfer school uses the Common Application, see MC's advice for the Common Application here (below in this message). 

2.     Check the transfer application deadline, and submit your application at least two weeks BEFORE that deadline.  All additional application materials (transcripts, test scores) also should be sent before the deadline date or your application may be considered incomplete.   

3.     Request an official copy of all of your college transcripts to be sent directly from the registrar(s) of all former college(s). A final official transcript must also be sent upon completion of any courses in progress.  To request your Montgomery College Transcript, go into MyMC and use the Send Transcript Link.  Check the box “Hold for Semester grades” if you’re requesting this prior to January 1st.  You can request it now and MC will send it in early January once all Fall 2013 grades are posted.  MC sends your transcript electronically to all Maryland schools.  You do NOT want to hand-carry a paper transcript – electronic is the way to go.

4.     EXTREMELY IMPORTANT:  If you have AP (Advanced Placement) Scores, you must request that those be sent officially to transfer schools from the College Board.  Even if your AP credits appear on your MC transcript, you still have to send an official score report with your transfer application.

5.     if you have fewer than 30 transferable credits shown as completed on your MC transcript at the end of this Fall 2013 (at Montgomery College or any other colleges), then you will need to send an official copy of your high school transcript, as well as official SAT and/or ACT scores for your transfer application to be complete.  Transfer schools will weigh your college grades more heavily than your high school grades/test scores, so don't be discouraged if your high school record is less impressive than your college record. Copies of official copies of your transcripts should be sent directly from your high school – check each school’s website to see how to send transcripts. SAT and/or ACT scores should be sent directly from the College Board – go into your account to request official score reports.


1.     UMCP:   March 1 Priority for Transfer in Fall 2014 - notifications of acceptance sent in early April.  UMCP Transfer Applications received after March 1 will be processed on a space-available basis with notifications beginning in late June. 

2.     Towson University:  January 15 for Transfer in Fall 2014

3.     UMBC:  Priority deadline: March 15 (for full scholarship consideration), Regular Decision: May 31 

4.     Howard University, DC:  For Fall 2014 Transfer, apply by February 15 

Letters of Recommendation

IMPORTANT:  NOT all transfer admissions applications require Letters of Recommendation.  Check with each school.  If you need recommendations , ask recent professors who know of your work habits.  A letter of recommendation from a college counselor is less meaningful because counselors can’t describe your classroom work habits – ask for this ONLY if the college requires it. When asking professors for recommendations, provide them with a list of your current activities and interests.  The following document has a printable questionnaire to give information about yourself, and includes a generic recommendation form if the school does not have a specific form

Instructor Recommendation Form 
Remember to give recommendation writers at least two weeks to complete your form.  If you know that you'll need more than one letter from a professor, let them know in advance that you'll be coming back for more.

From the Department of Redundancy Department:  Not all colleges ask for Letters of Recommendation.  Check each school’s transfer admissions requirements.  Your grades at MC are the most convincing information for schools to make a decision to admit.  If you are a borderline student – GPA does not meet minimum standard, or if you have had some serious ups and downs in your academic history, or if the school initially denies your admission, then consider supplementing your application with a recommendation from an instructor who knows you well.  If you meet the school's GPA requirements and have no unusual circumstances, you don't need to submit letters of recommend if they aren't specifically required!


The number of spaces for transfer students is decreasing as more students elect to stay in the State of Maryland.  You MUST apply well in advance of published deadlines for maximum consideration – in general, January / early February for Fall, August for Spring.  If you miss the preferred deadline for transfer admission (say it was listed as March 1, and you're applying in April), then call the Admissions Office of the school to ask whether they're still accepting applications from transfer students. 


Colleges consider many factors in the decision to admit.  Although it’s difficult to generalize, for the University of Maryland, College Park, best consideration of admission typically goes to transfer students who have:

  1. An overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher
  2. Completion of college-level English and math (EN 102 or 109 and MA 110 or higher) showing on the transcript
  3. 30 or more transferable credits completed on the transcript. 
  4. If applying to a Limited Enrollment Program (LEP), completion of all Gateway courses with only one repeat of a Gateway – 

Most other Maryland State schools admit students with an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher, but this depends on your choice of major – some majors, like Business, Engineering, and Art, may have higher requirements, depending on the school.  READ admissions requirements carefully for every school, and if you have a question, either e-mail or call the Admissions Office and ask to speak to someone who specializes in Transfer Admissions – write down the name of the person you speak with!


Even if you didn't qualified for financial aid at MC, if you're transferring to a four-year institution this coming year (Fall 2013 or Spring 2014), you should file a FAFSA between Jan. 1 and March 1 to see whether you may receive aid at your next school.   When you submit a FAFSA, you will immediately see an "EFC" number - the Estimated Family Contribution.  Your EFC appears like this: 12345 (or some other number).  Put in a $ and comma to see what the actual dollar figure is:  $12,345.  This is the amount that you and your family are expected to pay for your education for one year. 

All schools use a "Cost of Attendance" to show what figure they use to calculate aid.  For example, search for the "Cost of Attendance" phrase at Howard University's website. 

Howard University Tuition


Mandatory Fee


Books & Supplies








Local Transportation




The "Cost of Attendance" for one year at Howard is  shown as $41,430, even though the tuition is $19,150.  A university's financial aid office will use all the factors shown below to calculate how much it will cost to attend for one year:  tuition, fees, books & supplies, meals, housing, transportation, and personal expenses.    Once you see the "Cost of Attendance" figure, you can subtract your EFC from the COA to get an idea of what the institution will use to calculate whether you get a combination of grants and loans.

Howard University COA = $41,483  minus  EFC=  12,345  =  $29,138  is your financial need for one year.

Here are some other sample COA's

·        Frostburg State University  $17,920

·        George Washington University $58,105

·        Georgetown University $57,847

·        James Madison University (out of state) $31,066

·        Hood College (living on campus) $43,210 

·        Johns Hopkins University $57,491

·        University of Maryland, College Park (living on campus) $23,094

Research more about Financial Aid options here:

Search the MC Transfer Scholarship page for opportunities.


MC ADVICE FOR THE COMMON APPLICATION:  Transfer Students:  Common Application (CA4) Directions

What is the Common Application (CA4)?

The Common Application (CA4) is an on-line college admission application that students may submit to over 500 member schools. Go to the website to see which institutions require the Common Application. The new on –line CA4 became active on August 1, 2013.  (Please note that Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari is needed to properly download and submit the CA4). Transfer students must submit the CA4 application electronically. Transfer students will only be able to download and print the following two forms:

  1. “Transfer Registrar Report” (where the Dean/Associate Dean will complete the College Official’s information)
  2. “Transfer Academic Evaluation Form” (for letters of recommendation).

These two forms will be populated with the student’s name once they set-up their CA4 application profile.  Students can also choose to have the Transfer Academic Evaluation Form sent electronically to Instructors for the recommendation.

Transfer students, will need to fill out or provide information for the following forms:

  1. Follow all the directions through submission for the “Transfer Application Package”. 
  2. Transfer Academic Evaluation Form:  Print the PDF of an evaluation form and give it to your evaluator, preferably with an addressed, stamped envelope or electronically send it to an evaluator.  You may want to share a resume with the evaluator writing the recommendation. 
  3. Transfer Registrar Report: This form can be downloaded (with the student information populated on it) and brought to the Associate Dean’s Office to be completed. This form “DOES NOT” go to the Registrar or the Admissions Office.    
  4. Final Report: This is generally not necessary for a transfer student, as it refers to high school work. However, check the “Supplement Page” of the four year institution to ascertain if they want the student’s high school transcript and standardized test scores.
  5. Essays: Some schools require additional essays, portfolios, and/or an interest statement. Check the “Supplement Page” of the CA4 for each college for additional information the student has to provide.



Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2018, Montgomery College