Skip to Main Content

Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the U.S. Department of Education’s, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

  1. Why can’t I get my son/daughter’s final grades or a copy of his/her class schedule? I’m paying the bill!
    When a student reaches the age of 18 or begins attending a postsecondary institution regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer to the student, regardless of who is paying the tuition bill. This means that Montgomery College (MC) cannot tell you when and where a student’s class is being held or if a student is present. Your best bet is to maintain open communication with your son/daughter about their academic progress at Montgomery College.
  2. How can I pay my son/daughter’s account if you can’t even tell me how much he/she still owes?
    Have your student log-on to MyMC. MyMC provides students access to registration, their accounts, and allows him/her to sign up for a payment plan. MyMC also provides students with access to their earned grades, class schedule and unofficial Academic Transcript.
  3. Can I have a log-in to my son/daughter’s MyMC account?
    Not at this time. MC does not currently allow third party access to MyMC. All students are held fiscally and legally responsible for actions taken through MyMC.
  4. How can my son/daughter provide me access to his/her Student Record?
    The Office of Admissions & Records has the Permission to Release/Withhold Education Record Information form (PR/W). Students may complete this form at the campus Office of Admissions & Records. The form allows students to designate who may have full access to their student records.
  5. Can you send me a letter certifying that my child is enrolled as a full-time student at MC?
    If an Enrollment Verification letter is required, students must bring a completed Enrollment Verification Form to the Campus Cashier and pay the $5 fee.
  6. Can my student block my access?
    Yes. The PR/W form provides student the legal right to request that education information be withheld. It is best to maintain open communication with your student about their MC academic information.

Notification of Parent Rights under FERPA

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2018, Montgomery College