View Early Childhood Education Technology A.A.S. (R): 315
View Early Childhood Education Certificate (R): 177
View Early Childhood Leadership and Management Letter of Recognition: 819
Revised: Effective Semester — Fall 2008
This certificate curriculum is designed to prepare students to work in a variety of child care settings with children from infancy through age eight. The curriculum consists of a core of 18 credit hours directly related to early childhood education. The curriculum is designed to be completed within two semesters or over a longer period of time if a student chooses. Students may apply earned credits toward an A.A.S. in Early Childhood Education.
||Child Growth and Development
||Child Health, Safety, and Nutrition
||Techniques of Reading and Writing I
||Introduction to Human Communication
||Curriculum Planning in Early Childhood Education
||Practicum in Early Childhood Education
||Infant and Toddler Development and Curriculum Planning
||School-Age Child Care
||Observation and Assessment of Young Children
Total credit hours 30
Program Outcomes for the Early Childhood Education Certificate
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Describe theories and principles of child development and learning. Apply the theories and principles to the classroom teaching.
- Use systematic observations, documentation, and other effective assessment strategies in observing and working with children.
- Apply developmentally appropriate teaching practices and guidance approaches to enhance children’s learning and development.
- Develop and implement curriculum plans to promote children’s learning in the areas of physical/motor, social, emotional, cognitive, and language development.
- Be reflective practitioners to reflect and use the most effective methods of guidance and teaching when working with children.
- Demonstrate written, verbal, critical thinking, and problem solving skills which will allow them to effectively make connections between prior knowledge/experience and new learning.
- Teach young children in an early childhood setting with the required disposition, knowledge, skills, and competencies.
- Work on the A.A.S. degree with good standing of the required content areas.
Back to top
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Institution OPEID: 006911
Program CIP: 19.0709
Program Length: 2 semesters (this does not include time for developmental or AELP courses)
Related Occupations: Child Care Workers | Nannies
- Cost for entire program completed in 2 semesters: $4,380
- Total estimated costs for books and supplies for the entire program: $1,200
- More cost information
Montgomery College does not offer on-campus housing
Debt at Program Completion:
Between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012:
- 7 students completed this program; 0 of them had student loan debt upon completing the program
- Median cumulative debt for all students (both borrowers and non-borrowers):
$0 Federal student loan debt
$0 Private loan debt
Program Completion in Normal Time: 0 of 7 students completed the program within 2 semesters
Job Placement: This program is not required to collect job placement information by the college's accrediting agency. This information will be updated as it becomes available.
Back to top