State and National Sources of Information on Disability-Related Topics:
- Access Information Guide to the local Washington, DC area, as well as links to accessibility issues.
- ADA Information Center, (800)949-4232 (V), 301-217-0124 (V/TTY),
- ADA Document Center:
- American Sign Language Dictionary with animated examples and information about visual-gestural language in our visual communications, culture and society.
- Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD), P.O. Box 540666, Waltham, MA 02454, 781-788-0003 (V/TTY), 781-788-0033 (FAX), AHEAD@ahead.org
Contact AHEAD for a list of available publications, such as:
- "Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities", by Warren L. King, James Baker and Jane E. Jarrow
- "The Impact of Section 504 on Postsecondary Education: Subpart E", by Jane E. Jarrow
- "Issues in Higher Education and Disability Law", by Jeanne Kincaid, Esq. and Jo Anne Simon, Esq.
- "Title by Title: The ADA’s Impact on Postsecondary Education", by Jane E. Jarrow
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), (202)326-6630 (V/TTY)
- American Council of the Blind, (800)424-8666, (202)467-5081,
- Brain Injury Association of Maryland, http://www.biamd.org, (800)221-6443 or (410)448-2924, FAX (410)448-3541, Email: email@example.com; Brain Injury Association, Inc.,
- Center for Applied Special Technology - (Disability Resources, Universal Design) -
- Cornucopia of Disability Information (CODI):
- "Disability Compliance For Higher Education: Successful Strategies for Accommodating Students and Staff with Disabilities", Excellent newsletter published monthly by LRP Publications, Dept. 420, 747 Dresher Rd., P.O. Box 980, Horsham, PA 19044-0980,
- Disability Resources Monthly (DRM) - Guide to Disability Resources on the Internet:
- Disability Social History Project
- Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) - Clearing House on Adult, Career, & Vocational Education, (800)LET-ERIC, (800)538-3742,
- Epilepsy Foundation:
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission - Baltimore District office, (800)669-4000,
- Family Village: (clearinghouse of information on a wide variety of disability topics)
- Fidos for Freedom, Inc.: (an assistance dog training organization), Don Amann, Director of Development, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial Aid Information: national resources for funding your education.
- Halftheplanet Foundation: a nonprofit organization that supports the application of technology to promote the values of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)—independent living, social inclusion, equality of opportunity, economic self-sufficiency, and empowerment.
- HEATH Resource Center, The George Washington University (GWU), Graduate School of Education and Human Development - Funded by the US Department of Education), (800)544-3284 (VOICE), source of excellent publications and information.
- Human Relations Commission - (to file discrimination complaint) - (800)637-6247 (statewide office), 301-468-4265 (Montgomery County office).
- Info to Go, (formerly the National Information Center on Deafness), centralized source of accurate, up-to-date, objective information on topics dealing with deafness and hearing loss, (202)651-5051 (V), (202)651-5052 (TTY), (202)651-5054 (FAX), Email: Clearinghouse.Infotogo@gallaudet.edu,
- International Dyslexia Organization, (formerly the Orton Dyslexia Society),
- Jewish Vocational Services (JVS), 9900 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring, MD 20902, 301-587-9666.
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN), (800)526-7234,
- LD Online, extensive information on testing - go to LD In Depth section and click on Transition
- Learning Disabilities Association (National), 4156 Library Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15234, (412)341-1215,
- Learning Disabilities Association of Montgomery County MD, Inc., P.O. Box 623, Rockville, MD 20848, 301-933-1076, Email: Ldamc@Ldamc.org,
- Maryland Disability Law Center (MDLC), (800)233-7201 or (800)870-6362.
- Maryland Relay Service (to call a person who uses a TTY), 711 (in Maryland), (800)735-2258 (anywhere), (800)785-5630 (MD Speech-to-Speech Relay), (800) 552-7724 (Voice/TTY/Relay - Customer Service),
- MD Technology Assistance Program.
- National Center for Learning Disabilities, (212)545-7510,
Toll-free Information and Referral Service: 1-888/575-7373,
- National Federation of the Blind, 301-946-0653,
- National Dissemination Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities (NICHCY), (202)884-8200 (V/TTY), Toll-free: (800)695-0285 (V/TTY), (202)884-8441 (FAX), Email: email@example.com,
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET), at the University of Minnesota,
- Postsecondary Education Programs Network (PEPNET), national collaboration of the four Regional Postsecondary Education Centers for Individuals who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing,
An Online Orientation to serving students who are deaf or hard of hearing is available through PEPNET at:
- Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic, (800)221-4792,
- RESNA, Inc. (Rehabilitation Engineering), (703)524-6686, ext. 313,
- Self-Help for the Hard of Hearing (SHHH), 301-657-2248 (V), 301-913-9413 (FAX),
- Purple, (a local source for sign language interpreters),
- (National) Spinal Cord Injury Association Hotline, (800)962-9629, http://www.spinalcord.org/
- TransCen, Inc. (career and workforce development, school to work initiatives, systems change in education, training and technical assistance on disability issues - located in Rockville, MD)
- U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board:
Accessibility Guidelines and Standards:
- US Department of Education - Office of Civil Rights, (215)656-8541; (215)656-8605 (FAX); (215)656-8604 (TTY), Email: OCR_Philadelphia@ed.gov
- "Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities," is available from the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, (1-877-433-7827) or (1-800-872-5327)
- USAJobs - extensive information on how to get a job with the Federal Government.
- US Department of Justice - ADA Home Page and Toll Free Information Line: (800)514-0301, (800)514-0383 (TTY), http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm.