|Montgomery College in Rockville possesses one of the largest and most up-to-date computer labs dedicated to applied geography and cartography in the metropolitan area. The labs, located in the Technical Center building, Rooms 217 and 218, opened in the fall of 1999. The labs consist of 24 workstations with internet access, and 12 small digitizers. In addition, there is an instructor’s workstation connected to a high-definition projector which facilitates teaching and instruction of software applications.
The lab is used to accommodate the following:
- Majors pursuing their degree and/or certificate in the Applied Geography program;
- Workshops for the city of Rockville and Montgomery County employees needing additional training;
- Workshops for middle/high school students obtaining career information;
- Supplement education for non-majors.
- Monday - 9:00 a.m.– 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday - 9:00 a.m.– 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday - 9:00 a.m.– 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday - 9:00 a.m.– 6:00 p.m.
- Friday - 9:00 a.m.– 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday - 10:00 a.m.– 4:00 p.m.
Please note: If you are a currently registered geography student needing to use the lab outside the posted hours, contact Karen DeLong for access.
- Food & beverages are not permitted in the lab. If you have any food or drink, please leave it by the front desk.
- Lab is only available to students currently registered in specific geography courses.
- The computers are for work on geographic and cartographic-related class assignments and projects. Other uses are not permitted without permission, e.g. workshops, seminars, internships, other projects and assignments.
- Although students may use the small inkjet printer (HP 2800) to print final or draft copies, limited access is enforced since this printer is not designed for extensive use.
- Students must be supervised by the instructor or the lab coordinator to use the plotter (HP 800). Plotter paper and ink should be used judiciously. Due to cost and budget constraints draft copies are made on the small printer, reserving the plotter for final outputs.
- Dell Optiplex 755
- 24" Flat Panel monitors
- CalComp Digitizing Tablets
- HP Design Jet 800 Color Plotter
- HP Color 5225 Printer
- HP Scan Jet
- Adobe Illustrator CS6
- Adobe Photoshop CS6
- ArcGIS 10.2
- MapInfo 12
- Microsoft Office Suite 2010
- ArcGIS extensions:
- PLTS Nautical Solutions and Nautical Foundation