3 Academic credits + Stipend TBA
An intern in lighting will assist the Lighting Designer and the Theatre Technician in the design and execution of both productions. Responsibilities include:
• Helping to train students in programming and running the light board and in the operation of follow spots
• May serve as the board operator for one or both productions.
• Will serve as Master Electrician for both productions and supervise students in the Light Hang/Focus and strikes.
• Maintaining the lighting inventory and any rental packages for the summer
• Working with the other production departments on wiring and operation of practicals
• Cleaning and bench focusing lighting instruments prior to hang
• Changing lamps and gels during the runs
• Hanging and maintaining the lighting in the buffet area
• Trouble-shoot lighting problems during the runs of the shows.
• Restoring the house plot at the end of the summer
The intern will have the opportunity to learn the design processes for lighting and to refine technical skills in this area. The intern will have the opportunity to design the lights (within the limits of the show 2 plot) for the student cabaret on the final weekend of Summer Dinner Theatre performances. This is a partial internship, with the possibility of expanding to a full internship by doing additional work in another area. The intern will be expected to keep a journal and write an evaluation of the experience. All interns are expected to participate in other responsibilities to the Summer Dinner Theatre program as a whole. A candidate for this internship should have some experience in lighting (programming experience is preferred) and a strong desire to learn about design and execution of lighting for musical theatre. . All interns are required to have a minimum of one year of college or equivalent experience.
Start Date: first day of Summer Dinner Theatre classes, May 20 (or prior)
End Date: Thursday, July 31st following final strike of Summer Dinner Theatre
Hours: Monday - Friday, 2 - 10 p.m., plus weekends for technical rehearsals and performances and other times as needed. Schedule for the early weeks will be very flexible.
Final Week Schedule: Monday - Thursday, Noon - 6 p.m.
Primary Supervisors: Lighting Designer and Theatre Technician
Secondary Supervisor: Technical Director/Production Manager