3 Academic credits + Stipend TBA
An intern in this position will assist the Director(s) of one or both Summer Dinner Theatre productions. Duties and responsibilities may include:
• Assist in the creation and coordination of the rehearsal schedules
• Participate in the discussions at the casting session for Summer Dinner Theatre
• Serve as Dramaturge for one or both productions
• Work with actors on memorization of lines and blocking
• Coach actors on scenes
• Stand in for actors who may have a schedule conflict during rehearsal
• Attend meetings as scheduled
• Take notes for the Director(s) during run-through, technical and dress rehearsals
• Assist the Stage Manager(s) in setting up and running rehearsals
• The possibility to be given a scene or part of a scene to stage and develop
• Work with Choreography Interns on staging of the full-company final number of the cabaret to be performed on the last weekend of Summer Dinner Theatre
As with all the interns, the directing intern will be expected to keep a journal and write an evaluation at the end of the summer. All interns are expected to participate in other responsibilities to the Summer Dinner Theatre program as a whole.
A candidate for this internship should have some musical theatre performance background. The intern should also have good communication skills as well as a strong desire to learn about directing large scale musicals. All interns are required to have a minimum of one year of college or equivalent experience.
Start Date: the first week in May for auditions, May 9, 10, & 11 (or prior)
End Date: Thursday, July 31st, after final strike of Summer Dinner Theatre
Hours: may be irregular due to the nature of the job, but generally, Monday - Friday, 3 - 11 p.m. plus weekends and other hours
Final Week Schedule: Monday – Thursday, noon - 6 p.m.
Primary Supervisor(s): one or both directors
Secondary Supervisors: Artistic Directors and Technical Director/Production Manager