3 Academic credits + Stipend TBA
An intern in this position will assist the costume shop manager and the costume designer in all the technical aspects related to costumes in both Summer Dinner Theatre shows. The intern will have the following responsibilities:
• Assist in managing a working costume shop and stockroom
• Maintain show records
• Track the borrowing and lending of stock
• Supervising the use of and maintaining shop equipment and supplies.
• Learning and applying sewing techniques specific to theatre and all aspects of sewing related to building costumes for theatre, including; taking measurements, draping, pattern drafting, cutting, fitting, altering, millinery, wig styling, and make up.
• Supervising wardrobe by managing running crews and trouble shooting during the shows, organizing dry cleaning and laundry and learning about fabric and costume care.
• Coordinating with other technical and artistic staff as required for each production
• Attend meetings as scheduled.
The intern will be expected to keep a journal and write an evaluation at the end of the summer. All interns are expected to participate in other responsibilities to the Summer Dinner Theatre program as a whole.
A candidate for this internship is expected know how to sew by hand and using a machine. In addition the candidate must be reliable, organized and have a strong desire to learn about costuming for the stage. All interns are required to have a minimum of one year of college or equivalent experience.
Start Date: Prior to or on the first day of Summer Dinner Theatre class
End date: Thursday, August 4th, following final strike of Summer Dinner Theatre
Hours: Monday - Friday, 2 - 10 p.m. (may be adjusted by consultation with the costume shop manager) and one hour prior to the start of every performance until ½ hour after the end of every performance
Final Week Schedule: Monday - Thursday, Noon - 6 p.m.
Supervisor: Costume Shop Manager and Costume Designer
Secondary Supervisor: Technical Director/Production Manager