Welcome to the Fascinating World of Linguistics! Linguistics is the Scientific Study of Language.
"When we study human language, we are approaching what some might call "the human essence," the distinctive qualities of mind that are, so far as we know, unique to man."- Noam Chomsky
So we can talk with precision about languages
- Phonetics & Phonology
Dialects and Variation
We don't all have to speak exactly the same, y'know
Match languages that have the same parent
Are children really better learners than adults?
Are some languages easier than others?
Which symbols belongs to...
How do we do it so fast?
Why do we confuse:
"The Russian women loved died."
"Eye drops off shelf."
- "It makes me think about language in a new way."
- "It's fun and interesting."
- "This course informs you about many features that language has, features that you may not have thought of."
- "....it relates to real life."
Look for these Linguistics offerings in the Schedule of Classes
- LG200 Introduction to Linguistics
- HP251EA History of the English Language
- HP251CN Topics in Linguistics