"Focus on progress and not perfection!"
Leading a Student Club is challenging but rewarding work. It is neither the role of the president nor of the advisor to run the club alone, but rather to facilitate its growth and development. Student Clubs are most effective, productive, and enjoyable when everyone plays a part in their success.
1. Delegating – An organized leader keeps track of tasks that need to be done and delegates those tasks to as many people as possible.
2. Committees – Break down the various tasks of the club into committees and have a different person chair each committee. Ideas for committees include Publicity, Recruitment, and Special Events.
3. Training – The College offers many opportunities for leaders to improve their skills. Encourage members of your club to attend such workshops.
4. Ask & Listen – One of the most common mistakes made by leaders is in failing to ask the club membership for its opinions and desires, as well as listening to what they have to say. The quickest way to alienate yourself from your membership is to act in a vacuum.
5. Admit Mistakes – Everyone makes mistakes and you’ll make your fair share. When that happens, admit it, apologize, and move on. Be just as willing to forgive the mistakes of others.
Student Life has taken feedback from previous student leaders and advisors and developed the following to assist your club with it leadership development, event planning, running effective meetings and agendas, posting policies, and other club needs.
To assist your needs with understanding and completing the official club recognition paperwork, please review the following documents:
• Club Constitution
• Advisor Agreement Form
• Official Club Registration Form
• Helpful Hints in Filling out the Official Club Paperwork
• Guidelines for drafting a Club Constitution
• Guideline for selecting & completing the Advisor Agreement Form
• Guideline for drafting club goals
• Articulation a Vision
• Club Goals Form
To assist student leaders and advisors with the running effective meetings, please review the following documents:
• Ground Rules for Discussion
• Tips for Leading Student Groups
• Developing club meeting agenda
• Club Meeting agenda temple 1
• Club Meeting agenda temple 2
• Club On Campus Space Reservation Request Form
To assist student leaders and advisors with event planning:
• Club Event Proposal Form
• Event Planning 101
• Event Planning Module
To assist student leaders and advisor with accessing funding through the Budget Request process:
• Club Event Proposal Form
• Club Budget Request Form
• Sample Club Budget Request Form
• Tax Except Certificate
• Vendor Federal Tax ID W-9 Form
To assist with requesting club meeting snacks/ refreshments and event catering needs:
• Chartwells Club Meeting Refreshment Menu
• Chartwells Food Service Request Form
• Chartwells webpage
To assist student leaders and advisors with planning an educational club field trips to ask for funding through the budget panel process:
• Student Leaders and advisor(s) will need to meet with the Student Life Specialist for travel paperwork, etc. before utilizing budget request process.
• Distance Travel Requirements Check-Off List; please see your Student Life Specialist for form
• Club field trip participant contact information worksheet; please see your Student Life Specialist for form
• Club Liability Waiver Form
• College's Code of Student Conduct
To assist your club with requesting public performance license for a movie screening/ showing a movie(s):
Student Leaders and advisor please contact the Student Life Specialist when inquiring about showing a film/ movie screening.
To assist your club with its mailbox management, & posting polices and copy services:
• Guide to Club Mailbox Management
To assist with understanding the college's posting policies:
• Club Campus Posting Protocol and Copies Services
To assist your student leaders and advisor with it's fundraising planning and efforts:
• Club Fundraising Form
• Club Fundraising deposit form; please see your Student Life Specialist for form
To review the club program policies and procedures please review the Club and Organization Handbook:
• Official Club and Organization Handbook
If you have questions, concerns or want additional support, please contact the Club Program Student Life Specialist.
Choose to get involve and lead a club!