Skip to Main Content
Transferring to the Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park

Transferring to the Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park


Limited Enrollment Programs at College Park 

All students may apply for admission to Limited Enrollment Programs (LEP).  Limited enrollment programs are competitive majors at the University of Maryland, College Park, that control enrollment numbers to maintain program quality.  Here is a link to the engineering LEP website at UMCP. Notice that this website uses UMCP course numbers.  See below for LEP information using MC course numbers. 

Back to the top

LEP Transfer Student Criteria for All Engineering Majors 

You can apply for transfer when you have completed the Gateway courses (PH161, MA182, CH135 or CH102).  PH161 and MA182 must be completed with a  grade of “B” or better.  CH102 or CH135 must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.   You also need to have completed EN102 or EN109 and at least one General Education course.  

You MUST have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all courses taken at MC and at any other college or university.  This includes such courses as EL*** and RD***, even though they do not transfer to UMCP.  By the time you have completed the above requirements, you will usually have accumulated at least 30 transferable (useful) credits in engineering. 

  • ONLY ONE repeat of any one of the three Gateway courses and the required English course, either at UMCP or at any other university or college, is allowed.  “W” is counted as an attempt.
  • IMPORTANT:  You must have a GPA of at least 3.0 in order to be admitted to UMCP’S Clark School of Engineering.  Your overall GPA is calculated using ALL grades for all courses taken at any college or university, including MC.  So if you attended Cal Tech for a year and ended up with a GPA of 1.2 with 30 credits, then you are most likely not going to be admitted to UMCP, even if you maintain a straight “A” average at MC.
  • Bioengineering majors must complete BIOE120 at UMCP before being formally admitted to the Bioengineering program.  In the interim you will be placed in another engineering major.  MC now offers the equivalent of BIOE120 (ES120) at MC in the fall semester.  This class is offered at UMCP each Fall, Spring, and Summer.  For those of you with a GPA above 3.2, consider the MTAP Maryland Transfer Advantage Program or contact Prof. Joan Hawkins in Counseling at Rockville or see an engineering advisor.  The MTAP program would allow you to register for BIOE120 at UMCP before you apply or transfer to UMCP.      

Back to the top

So when should I transfer to UMCP? 

You can apply to UMCP anytime after you have fulfilled the LEP Transfer Student Criteria listed above.  But it is usually not a good idea to transfer before you have completed about 50-60 hours of transferable credits at MC.  If you transfer with 30 credits you will have sophomore standing and will take sophomore level courses at UMCP.  You can almost always take exactly the same courses at MC.  MC’s tuition is lower than UMCP and we have smaller classes, and, hopefully, a supportive environment in which you can learn effectively.

Back to the top

What happens if I apply with a GPA less than 3.0? 

You may be admitted to your second choice, usually the College of Letters and Sciences (LAS).  LAS is NOT the engineering school.  This is generally not a recommended course of action since being in LAS will not allow you to earn an engineering degree.  Moving from LAS to the Clark School is possible but not probable.  A more realistic action would be to transfer to a university other than UMCP.  Obviously you want to be directly admitted to the engineering school at your alternative university. 

Back to the top

By what date should I apply for transfer to UMCP? 


There are different calendar deadlines for US citizens/Permanent Residents and International Students.  For the Fall semester the deadline is March 1 for International Students.  March 1 is also the date for the Early Application Deadline for US Citizens/Permanent Residents.  So, no matter what your status is, you are better off applying by March 1 for Fall admission to UMCP.  The absolute last date to apply for Citizens/Permanent Residents is June 1.


August 1 is the deadline for International Students to apply for the Spring semester.  August 1 is also the date for the Early Application Deadline for US Citizens/Permanent Residents. November 15 is the absolute last date to apply for Citizens/Permanent Residents.  All of you would be wise to apply by August 1.


Apply as soon as possible, but certainly before March 1.         

Important Observation

  • No matter which semester you wish to transfer, the earlier you apply, the sooner you will be admitted, and therefore the sooner you will be allowed to attend the “Orientation Session” at which you will be able to register for the classes you need for the upcoming semester.  If some of the classes that you need are filled, ask to be placed on the “Wait List”.  The “Wait List” will usually enable you to register for the necessary engineering classes, although not necessarily at the times you would like.  
  • Here is a link to the UMCP website for Undergraduate Admissions Deadlines.

Back to the top

Transcripts from MC and other universities/colleges  

As soon as you have completed and sent in your application (keep a copy!), you will need to provide official transcripts of all courses taken at MC and courses taken at any other college or university.  These papers sometimes get lost or misplaced or never get sent, so check after a reasonable time (2 weeks or so) and make sure that the transcripts have been placed in your file at UMCP.

Back to the top

The required essay for admissions 

UMCP has added a new requirement for transfer students.  You must now provide a short essay describing why you wish to attend the University of Maryland.  You will notice this requirement when you are filling out and submitting your admission application. WRITE the ESSAY and do make sure that you use proper English spelling and sentence construction.  Since all of you have completed EN102 or EN109 with a “C” or better, this should not be difficult.  If you need someone to proofread your essay, try enlisting help from the Writing Center or from one of your former instructors.

Back to the top

The TOEFL Exam for non-native English speaking students 

If you are a non-native English speaker (regardless of citizenship), you MUST verify your proficiency in English.  Completing the A.A. or A.S. degree exempts you from this requirement.  All other students MUST have an official report of your scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.  Please note:  Transfer credit for an English composition course such as EN102 or EN109 at Montgomery College does not waive the English proficiency exam at UMCP although it does provide a waiver at many other transfer institutions.  Use the web to find further information about times, dates, and costs for the TOEFL and IELTS, or speak with a Counselor at any campus.  At this time (February, 2012), UMCP requires a TOEFL score of 100 or higher in order to be admitted to the University.   Follow this link for more detailed information about TOEFL and IELTS scores at UMCP:  

Back to the top

Visiting the University of Maryland 

The Engineering Department maintains “Walk-In” hours for prospective transfer students from 1-3pm on Thursdays in room 1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall.  Before you go, verify the hours and days for “Walk-In”.  Any updates to the hours will be posted on their website at You can also contact them by e-mail at:  The Office of Admissions also has information sessions scheduled.  Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for information regarding “UpClose” sessions and/or campus walking tours.

Back to the top



Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2019, Montgomery College