Skip to Main Content
Leave Policies


 Annual Leave 

 Special Leaves with Pay 

 Sick Leave 

 Leave Without Pay 

 Personal Leave 

 Family and Medical Leave 

 Holiday Pay 

 Short-Term Disability Leave 

If the terms and conditions of your employment are governed by a collective bargaining agreement (AFSCME, SEIU, or AAUP) please refer to your specific contract for information in reference to your leave benefits.

Montgomery College has extensive leave regulations covering every type of situation necessary for an employee to be absent from work. A few brief statements are listed here describing some of the leave policies. Employees who have a situation that may not be listed should contact their immediate supervisor or the Office of Human Resources for further information. Requests for leave must be approved by the employee's supervisor before the start of the leave.

NOTE: Employees unable to report for a scheduled work period must notify their immediate supervisor as soon as possible. Failure to report for work as scheduled or to report the reason for absence to the employee's supervisor will be considered as an unauthorized absence.

All Staff employees and temporary employees who receive benefits earn leave. Employees assigned to work 20 hours per week but less than 40 hours earn leave in the proportion that their workweek is to a 40-hour week. For example, if an employee works a 30-hour week, their leave should be figured by multiplying 30/40 times the amount of leave earned. Ten-month employees earn leave only during those pay periods when they are actively on the payroll. During the months when they are inactive, leave cannot be earned nor used. Earned leave may be used by the week(s), full day, or by the hour/portion of an hour, as necessary.

For purposes of calculation, please note that Staff and Administrators are not paid twice a month, but rather every two weeks, which equals 26 pay periods per year. Full-time Faculty are paid on an academic year basis and their salary is calculated over 20 pay periods.

Creditable Service: The rate of annual accrual for sick and annual leave is based upon the amount of service time which an employee has accumulated. This period of time is referred to as "creditable service" and is computed by including all current service time the employee has working at Montgomery College as well as the following:

Previous full-time service in an established position with the College.



Annual leave is granted to allow vacation time or for taking care of activities that can't be scheduled on non-working days. It can also be used to supplement sick leave when necessary. Employees assigned to work a 40-hour week earn annual leave as follows:


 Length of Service

 Leave Earned Per Pay Period

 Leave Earned Per Year

 Less than 3 years

 4.61 hours

 15 days per year (120 Hours)

 3 years but less than 15

  6.15 hours

 20 days per year (160 Hours)

 15 years or more

 8 hours

 26 days per year (208 Hours)

Annual leave may not be used during the first 30 days of employment unless pre-arranged as a condition of employment. Annual leave must be scheduled with your supervisor at a time which will be in the best interest of the College.

Up to one year of accumulation of unused annual leave may be carried forward to the next year. All other unused annual leave will be lost. Upon termination of employment with Montgomery College, employees are paid in full for all unused annual leave up to a maximum of one year of accumulation at their current rate of accumulation. Please note that for part-time employees the amount of leave carried forward each year or for which the employee may be paid upon termination is pro-rated according to the proportion that their workweek is to a 40-hour workweek.




Sick leave is granted for personal illness, injury, and quarantine, as well as for medical, dental, or optical examinations and treatment. The leave policy permits use of sick leave for illness in the immediate family when the employee's presence is required. Full time employees earn sick leave at 3.69 hours per pay period (12 days per year). Sick leave can be used only after it has been earned. Upon recommendation of the employee's supervisor, an advancement to an employee of unearned sick leave with pay not to exceed the amount earned during the next succeeding 12 months (96 Hours for full-time employees) may be carried forward from year to year without limit. Upon termination, employees hired prior to January 1, 1993, and who have 5 years or more consecutive service with Montgomery College are eligible to receive pay for 25% of their unused sick leave balance up to a maximum of 25% of 180 days. This benefit is not available to employees hired after that date.

Employees who are unable to report to work due to illness or injury, should notify their supervisor as soon as possible, preferably before or during the working hours of the first day they are absent. Supervisors are to report excessive or questionable use of sick leave in writing to the Office of Human Resources.


Personal leave with pay is granted on a noncumulative basis to a maximum of 24 hours (3 days) per calendar year for full-time employees and on a prorated basis for part-time employees. It is to be used for personal obligations such as those listed below, or for other important personal unplanned crises or emergencies involving family members or personal property. Personal leave is advanced at the beginning of the each calendar year. Personal leave is a resource at your disposal if you should need it. If you do not use it, it is still there on an annual basis.

The following are guidelines to assist employees in determining what situations are appropriate for use of personal leave. However, while personal leave must be requested from and approved by the immediate supervisor, employees are on the honor system and do not need to provide their supervisors with a reason for requesting the leave.

Personal Leave may be used for purposes such as the following:

  • Religious observance
  • Appointment with a lawyer
  • Court appearance, if not covered under Civil Leave policy
  • Settlement/purchase, walk-through on a house
  • School registration or conference for children
  • Graduation
  • Bereavement for other than family members

Personal Leave should not be used for the following:

  • Recreational activities
  • Voting (the polls are open a sufficient number of hours to allow employees to vote during non-duty hours)
  • Servicing car if not an emergency
  • Volunteer work
  • Shopping
  • Out-of-town family requests
  • Research
  • Family illness (covered under sick leave)
  • Political activities
  • Weather conditions


Employees are authorized paid leave on official holidays when such holidays fall on days when the employees are regularly scheduled to work. Such leave is referred to as "holiday leave". Official holidays are those days designated each year in the College calendar on which the College is listed as being closed, including the Saturdays and Sundays. Generally there are 14 paid holidays each year. Some employees may be required to work on an official holiday if determination is made that certain College services must be maintained. Non-exempt employees who are required to work on an official holiday are paid (in addition to pay for their regular holiday leave) at one and one-half times their pay for each hour of work performed on the holiday.

When an official holiday falls on an employee's regularly scheduled day off, the employee will not be paid for that day.   In those situations where a temporary change in work schedule serves to reduce the individual's number of paid holidays below the minimum number received by those employees working a regular work schedule, the person so affected will receive an alternate paid holiday during the same week.



Employees may be allowed up to a maximum of five consecutive workdays of special leave with pay upon the death of a member of the employee's family. The employee's supervisor has the authority to approve the extent of the leave to be granted up to the maximum number of days permitted. Bargaining unit employees should refer to their respective contracts for details.

Court Attendance

Employees who are subpoenaed as a court witness or who are called to serve on a jury may be granted court attendance leave for the period required to be in court plus necessary travel time. Employees must submit the appropriate leave form with a copy of the subpoena or summons to the Director of Personnel Services. Any pay (less travel or other necessary and uncompensated expenses) received by the employee for such service is paid to the College unless the employee elects to use annual leave or leave without pay, in which case the employee may retain all pay received for such court service.

Annual Military Reserve Training

Employees who are members of the National Guard or of the United States Armed Forces Reserves may be granted special leave with pay for training purposes not to exceed 15 calendar days in any 12-month period when required by federal or state order. In addition, such leave with pay as required may be granted to an employee when his/her reserve unit is activated by federal or state order in the event of a civil disturbance or other emergency. Employees must submit the appropriate leave form, with a copy of the military or other governmental orders attached, to the Director of Personnel Management. Any pay (less travel or other necessary and uncompensated expenses) received by the employee for such active duty must be paid to the college unless the employee elects to use annual leave or leave without pay, in which case the employee may retain all pay received for such active duty.

Professional Meeting

Granted for purposes of attending off-campus professional meetings that are in the best interest of the College and the employee.

Professional Development Leave for Staff

Is available for administrative, associate, and support staff for a period of three months or one semester at full pay. To be eligible to apply and be considered for this leave an employee must have served continuously at Montgomery College for at least 3 years. The employee must sign a written agreement to return to work at the College for at least 4 months for each month of leave after the Professional Development leave ends. Employees in temporary positions with benefits are not eligible for this particular leave.

Sabbatical Leave for Faculty

Sabbatical leave provides full-time faculty the opportunity to take time away from the classroom to engage in various types of professional development endeavors for a period of one semester at full pay or one full academic year at half-pay. To be eligible for sabbatical, a faculty member must have14 consecutive semesters of service. The faculty member must sign a written agreement to return to work for the next succeeding four (4) full academic semesters after completion of the leave period.

Administrative Leave

Paid administrative leave is granted when the health, safety, or general welfare of an employee is in danger, or when leave is in the best interest of the College. Leave may be authorized for all employees or for selected offices of personnel of the College. Non-exempt staff employees who are classified as "essential personnel" and who are required to work during administrative leave are paid (in addition to their regular pay) at one and one-half times their regular rate of pay for those hours worked.

NOTE:  Administrative leave is the leave granted for weather related emergencies. When the decision is made to close the College (not just cancel classes), staff are not required to report for work. 

The Office of Communications notifies the media and in-house communications systems (Montgomery College ALERT, e-mail, voice mail, Web site) as early as possible, once the decision is made to close or delay opening. You will be able to determine the College’s operational status during inclement weather or emergency situations through the following means:

  • Montgomery College employees can sign up to receive text messages or e-mail announcements about emergencies, closures or delays affecting the College or one of the campuses. This service, Montgomery College ALERT, developed out of a partnership with Montgomery County’s “Alert Montgomery” emergency communications system. To learn more about Montgomery College ALERT and how to register, visit
  • Check the College’s Web site at for an announcement or log on to College’s e-mail service. A collegewide e-mail will be sent to employees.
  • For faculty and staff with voice mail, call in to check your voice mail, which will be updated with a broadcast message. If you are calling from home or off-site, dial 240-567-1701, insert your extension number, press * and enter your pass code.
  • Call the College’s main phone number, 240-567-5000, to hear an updated message. Do not call security or the campuses for an update.
  • Obtain your information from radio or TV announcements.
    Within Montgomery County, tune in to Montgomery College Television, which is available on channel 10 on all Montgomery County cable systems. Additional television and radio stations that the College notifies for weather closings generally include:
  • WMAL - 630 AM  WFRE- 99.9 FM (Frederick) WTTG- Fox Channel 5
  • WTOP- 103.5 FM WRC-NBC Channel 4 NewsChannel 8
  • WAMU - 88.5 FM WUSA-CBS Channel 9  
  • WFMD/WFRE - 930 AM (Frederick) WJLA-ABC Channel 7  

The Associated Press and United Press International and all local TV stations are also notified. The stations are notified by the Institutional Advancement Office as early as the information is available.

The Office of Communications notifies the media and in-house communications systems (Montgomery College ALERT, e-mail, voice mail, Web site) as early as possible, once the decision is made to close or delay opening. If no announcement is made, assume the College is open.
When the College is closed or there is a delayed opening, all non-institutional use of facilities will be cancelled during those hours that the College is closed.

Persons considered “essential personnel” are: chief administrative officer, director of college relations, director of facilities, campus facilities managers, all general maintenance workers and supervisors, building service workers and supervisors, security officers and supervisors, building equipment mechanics, automotive mechanics and all trades helpers. Other positions may be designated “essential” by the chief administrative officer.
The following options may be exercised during emergency closing:
The College will close at (time). Essential personnel are expected to remain or report to work and will be paid at the overtime rate (fi eligible) for hours worked when the College is closed. All other employees are granted administrative leave.
The College will delay opening until (time), or the College is closed and will reopen at (time). Essential personnel will report to work at the normal time and will be paid at the overtime rate (if eligible) for hours worked when the College is closed. All nonessential personnel will be granted administrative leave for the hours that the College is closed and will report to work at the designated time of opening.
Employees who choose to take leave due to inclement weather when the College remains officially open must report their absence as annual leave.


Up to 12 months of leave without pay may be granted for reasons such as illness in the family, maternity (beyond the period of disability), military service, travel, family obligations, professional development, disability, or any other reason which is in the best interests of both the College and the employee. With the exception of military service, employees who are on leave may continue to participate in the Montgomery College employee benefit plans by paying 100% of the cost.

Leave without pay for 1 to 5 working days may be granted by the employee's supervisor. Leave for more than 5 days requires the approval of the employee's supervisor and the Chief Human Resources Officer.


Under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA), employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave if they have worked for the College for at least 12 months and for at least 1,250 hours over the previous 12-month period. Unpaid leave will be granted for any of the following reasons: 

  • To care for an employee's child after birth, or placement for adoption or foster care,
  • To care for the employee's spouse, son or daughter, or parent who has a serious health condition, or
  • For a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform his/her job.
  • The College will require the employee to substitute paid leave for which the employee may be eligible for all or part of the leave to which the employee is entitled under FMLA.
  • The College will require medical certification to support a request for leave because of a serious health condition, and may require a second or third opinion (at College expense) and a fitness for duty to return to work.

On January 28, 2008, President Bush signed into law H.R. 4986, the National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2008 (NDAA), Pub. L. 110-181. Among other things, section 585 of the NDAA amends the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) to permit a "spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin" to take up to 26 workweeks of leave to care for a "member of the Armed Forces, including a member of the National Guard or Reserves, who is undergoing medical treatment, recuperation, or therapy, is otherwise in outpatient status, or is otherwise on the temporary disability retired list, for a serious injury or illness."

For the duration of leave under the FMLA, the College will maintain group insurance coverage under the same conditions as if the employee were still working.

These procedures will be administered in accordance with the provisions of the FMLA.


Employees who work in regular budgeted positions may be eligible for disability leave if they have worked at least 6 months for the College. (Employees in temporary positions with benefits are not eligible for this particular benefit). Employees who have been disabled because of sickness or accidental bodily injury may be granted disability leave with pay during the first 12 months of disability. Proof of disability must be submitted to the Office of Human Resources. After all accumulated sick leave and advanced sick leave has been used, a percentage of the employee's salary will be continued according to the following chart:

  • Workers' Compensation Disability 100% of pay *
  • Employees with 6 months but less than 3 years of service 50% of pay
  • Employees with 3 years but less than 10 years of service 60% of pay
  • Employees with 10 or more years of service 80% of pay

In workers' compensation cases, the use of sick leave will not be required before Disability Leave is authorized. Salary continued by the College is reduced by other disability benefits or pay for rehabilitative work.

* The percent of pay for Worker' Compensation Disability applies if the individual is participating in the Managed Care Program, if not it is 66 2/3 of pay as required by MD State Law.

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2015, Montgomery College