Skip to Main Content
Evidence of Financial Support

To obtain an I-20 form, an F-1 or M-1 prospective student must submit evidence of financial support adequate to permit the student to study full time without working.

Note: The  Estimated Annual Educational Costs  that must be available to the student are outlined at this link.  Students must show that each one of the Costs listed will be covered.

PLEASE NOTE: These documents must be received as Originals and must be in English or accompanied by a Certified English Translation.

 If the Student Is Self-Supporting

  • The student should submit an original letter or current month's statement from the student’s bank (personal saving or checking accounts ONLY) that indicate the current available balance (in any currency) .  Account must have enough available for each year of the expenses the student plans to pay for.  
  • The student MUST complete the Montgomery College  Non-US Resident Affidavit of Support Form (PDF - 20.69KB).  Students do not need to Notarize their own signature.

If the Student Is Sponsored, each sponsor (maximum of 2) must complete a total of Four Documents

Complete ONE of the following "affidavits" - (which serve as a promise of what the sponsor will supply) AND the three documents referenced below (NUMBERED 2, 3, AND 4):
  • Sponsors who are OUTSIDE of the United States or in the US but are NOT U.S. citizens or permanent residents: use the Montgomery College  Non-US Resident Affidavit of Financial Support (PDF - 20.69KB). The sponsor's signature on this form must be NOTARIZED (for guidance on notaries outside of the United States, please contact the US Consulate in the sponsor's country). 
  • Montgomery College has partnered with Flywire for simpler and reliable International Wire Transfer. For more information, click here.
  • Sponsors who ARE U.S. citizens or permanent residents: use the  USCIS form I-134 “Affidavit of Financial Support”. Read our instructions and link to the USCIS government site for the PDF of the form to fill in on-line and print out to sign.

All Sponsors submit the following three documents (NUMBERS 2, 3, AND 4)

The sponsor’s the Affidavit must be accompanied by documents showing that the sponsor understands and is financially capable of fulfilling the commitment they have made (see A, B, and C below).  These documents must be received as Originals and must be in English or accompanied by a Certified English Translation.


Evidence of savings to pay for the first full year of study.  A document (in the form of a letter or chart created by the bank) signed by an officer of the bank or other financial institution in which the sponsor has deposits.  The bank may be in any country and the amounts may be listed in any currency (the amount does not have to be in US dollars).  The letter should include the following details regarding the account:

  • Date account opened
  • Total amount deposited for the past year or average balance in account
  • Present balance (should show total amount of first year's expenses available.  May be a combination of liquid accounts) 


Evidence of Income, this may be either:

     1.    Letter from the sponsor’s employer, on official business stationery, showing:

  • Date and nature of employment
  • Salary paid
  • Whether position is temporary or permanent

     2.   OR if self-employed, the sponsor’s most recent income tax return or similar government document showing the income of the individual who signed the Affidavit.  For guidance on showing income for self-employed sponsors outside of the United States, please see the US Consulate webpage for the sponsor's country.  Persons filing United States tax forms, please submit only pages 1 and 2 of the form 1040 from the Personal Tax Return.


  Sponsor Obligations Not required to Renew and/or Extend an F-1 visa
Self sponsors must complete International Student Orientation instead of Sponsor's Obligation form

(which answers our sponsors most Frequently Asked Questions about their responsibilities)

  • Financial resources shown must be personal funds that are readily available. Evidence of funds held in retirement or business accounts may not be used.
  • The financial documents must be no older than three months at the time the I-20 is signed, no older than 6 months at the time of entry into the United States.
  • Sponsors who guarantee room and board must show they are capable of paying the Estimated Cost even if they choose to use a lower cost option.

Additional documentation may be required.

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2018, Montgomery College