Skip to Main Content
Transferring an I-20

This page is for students with an I-20 INSIDE of the United States, wishing to transfer INTO Montgomery College.

Please also see "Additional Information for Transfer of a SEVIS I-20" for helpful hints and special situations.

CURRENT Montgomery College students planning to Transfer OUT of the College, see Transfer Out Instructions 

 NOTE:  If you have already completed an Associate or Higher degree in the United States, please contact our international coordinator for admission and add a letter explaining why you wish to pursue the major you have chosen at the Associate level. 

Deadlines for Transferring an I-20

  • August 1 for FALL semester (classes begin early September)
  • December 1 for SPRING semester (classes begin late January)
  • I-20s are not transferred for summer sessions.
  • For travel outside of the United States before attending Montgomery College, please see Travel Implications.  Please NOTE: Transfer students who have not yet fully registered and paid for all classes MUST arrive in the United States and report to the International Coordinator's Office at the College at least ONE MONTH before classes begin.  Students who have completed registration and payment may arrive approximately two weeks before classes begin.

Montgomery College I-20 application process for degree-seeking AND non-credit ESL program students.

Complete the following steps and submit all materials to the Montgomery College campus you wish to attend prior to the deadline dates.

Step 1: Apply to Montgomery College

Submit an Application for Admissions (PDF - 634.36KB) and pay a $25 (check or money order) non-refundable application fee.  This Application and fee should be submitted directly to the Office of Admissions and Records (in person submissions go to the "Registrar's Office") for the campus you wish to attend. 

Note: The Montgomery College Health Information Management program CANNOT ACCEPT F-1 students because the program is offered mostly On-Line so cannot conform to government F-1 regulations.

Step 2: Provide Supplement Information

Submit a Supplemental Information for I-20 Request (PDF - 13.36KB) form.

Step 3: Provide proof of College Level or High School graduation

All documents must be in English. If translated, submit the original or certified copy of the native language version together with a certified English translation. Submit one of the following:  Students MAY be required to submit a Credential Evaluation in addition.

Step 4: Provide evidence of English Language Proficiency with ONE of the following:

  • Transferable credit from a U.S. college or university for a first-year English composition course equivalent to EN101 at Montgomery College
  • Score from Montgomery College ESL Accuplacer exam.  Click here for more information.
  • Student who already have TOEFL, IELTS, or SAT scores may be exempt from testing.  Please see Required Testing for Students Outside the U.S.  for details.

Step 5: Provide evidence of financial support.  Persons sponsoring a student must complete four (4) steps; completing two forms and providing two pieces of supporting documentation.  Please visit BOTH of these sites:

  • Evidence of Financial Support
    Includes Affidavit or promise of support from any sponsor, signed Sponsor Obligations document, and financial documents proving savings for first year of study and ability to continue support during full length of study.  See  Evidence of Financial support page for details 
  • Estimated Annual College Costs for International Students 
    The costs that appear on the I-20 showing the most reasonable estimate the College has for both academic expenses and living expenses for each calendar year of study.  Please Note: Montgomery College does NOT have dormitories or provide housing.

Step 6: Transfer credits from outside the U.S. (Submit with Application ONLY IF necessary to prove College level)

Anticipate the  Transfer of Credit process to take up to seven (7) weeks.

Step 7: Provide the following:

  • Legible photocopy of your passport: personal information page, expiration, picture, and United States visa you used to enter the US
  • I-94 record: print out record from or copy both sides of any paper I-94 card from an entry to the US before 2014 or from a Change of Status Approval form 
  • All previously issued I-20 forms (and EAD card if applicable)

Step 8: Submit a completed Transfer Clearance Form.  Many schools will require that the student presents a letter showing they have completed all other parts of the application (Steps 1-7) before completing this form. 

Transfer Clearance Form (PDF - 12.87KB)

You may bring to the College or Mail all above materials for review to the campus you wish to attend:


Germantown Campus
Rockville Campus
Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus

International Coordinator
Office of Admissions & Records
20200 Observation Drive
Germantown, MD 20876

International Coordinator
Office of Admissions & Records
51 Mannakee Street
Rockville, MD 20850

International Coordinator
Office of Admissions & Records
7600 Takoma Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912

Step 9: Attend College Orientation (dates to be announced)

Step 10: Meet with a Montgomery College Counselor to discuss the I-MAP Process and classes.

Step 11: Register for Full-Time Class Enrollment.  

Note: Students may speak with Academic Counselors about classes to enroll in, but may only "Register" (select seats in classes) after completing Steps 1-8 of this application process.  

Full-time class enrollment is 12 credit hours (billing hours) per semester or 18-24 contact hours for continuing education ESL program per semester.

Step 12: Meet with an International Student Coordinator to receive the I-20.


Contact Us

For more questions, contact a Montgomery College International Student Coordinator at the campus you wish to attend.

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2018, Montgomery College