FYE Student Ambassadors are a select group of student leaders dedicated to serving Montgomery College in the capacity of advocates for new students by fostering support in academic performance, achievement, and social development. FYE Student Ambassadors work in collaboration with the FYE program, Counseling and Advising, and Student Life. Student Ambassadors work with counseling faculty in the FYE classroom, participate with Student Life, serve as an Orientation Leader for New Student Orientation, and promote student activities and campus involvement. Student Ambassadors serve as an overall leader and role model for new MC students.
What Is The FYE Student Ambassador Program?
The FYE Student Ambassador program is designed to help new students become acclimated to their college experience at MC both in and outside the classroom.
What is the Role of a Student Ambassador?
FYE Student Ambassadors are a select group of student leaders dedicated to serving MC in the capacity of advocates for First-Year students by fostering support in academic performance and social development. FYE Student Ambassadors serve in a variety of roles and work in collaboration with the FYE Program, Counseling and Advising and Student Life.
Specifically , Student Ambassadors:
- Assist with FYE classes
- Participate in New Student Orientation
- Promote activities and campus events
- Serve as an overall leader and positive role model for new MC students
What Does a Student Ambassador Receive?
Being an FYE Student Ambassador offers a variety of benefits:
- A semester stipend of $500
- A unique opportunity to work with and develop cultivating relationships with MC faculty, staff and students
- Development of leadership skills
- Valuable work and teaching experience
- Increased self-awareness
- Greater awareness of campus resources
- Letters of recommendation for transfer and employment opportunities
- Resume enhancement
- Development of a co-curricular portfolio
What Are The Required Qualifications?
- Must be enrolled at MC at time of application and while participating in the program
- Must have completed 12 credit hours at MC
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better and maintain at least a 3.0 while participating in the program
- Must be able to make at least a one year commitment
- Expect to be available approximately 5-6 hours per week for FYE activities, FYE classroom preparation and instruction, and attendance and participation in weekly meetings and training sessions
Who Is Our Ideal Student Ambassador?
- Students who exhibit academic success
- Students who present a positive presence and an out-going and friendly personality
- Students who are active and involved in the MC Community
- Students who demonstrate professionalism
How Do I Apply?
- Attend a FYE Student Ambassador Information Session
- Complete a FYE Student Ambassador Application packet. Applications are available in the Germantown Counseling & Advising Office, SA 175 and the Office of Student Life, SA186 or online at: http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/Departments/FYE/gcampus.html
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a MC faculty or staff member (use recommendation form in application packet).
- Submit your application by the deadline noted on the applications. Completed applications can be returned to one of the addresses listed above..
What Happens Next?
- If your application is considered, you will be contacted by our office to schedule an interview.
- After the interview, notices of your final status will be mailed.
- If you are selected as a FYE Student Ambassador, you must be available to attend the FYE Student Ambassador Orientation and the FYE Student Ambassador Retreat.
- Additional meetings and on-going training dates will be announced.
Still Have Questions?
Please direct any questions to:
Tyra Peanort or Debi Higbie-Holmes