Skip to Main Content
Credit for Courses Taken Outside the U.S.

If you have credit from coursework completed outside of the U.S., you may be awarded credit toward your Montgomery College degree program, or satisfy pre-requisites.  You may also be requested to provide an evaluation for completion of the equivalent of United States high school graduation if your documents cannot be evaluated by College personnel. 

To have your coursework evaluated:

1) Send your coursework to an academic evaluation agency for evaluation:
     Agencies determine if the academic credentials (certificates and transcripts) are genuine and create either
          a "Course By Course" evaluation of each class taken to determine how it would count in the United States educational system.  This process is REQUIRED for credit to be awarded toward your degree.

          a "Degree level" evaluation to determine if the equivalent of an entire level of U.S. education (high school, bachelor's, master's, etc.) has been completed

***Specialized Credential Evaluation (for medical professionals, etc) are done separately.  Contact the Licensing agency for your profession for more information.

2) Have your evaluation sent to the Transfer Coordinator on the campus you plan to attend.

For full information, see "Transfer Work Completed Outside the U.S." on the Credit and Advanced Standing for Prior Learning page

 NOTE:  You may wish to speak with an Academic Counselor about the courses you have taken before deciding to have an evaluation done.  U.S. colleges and universities use different evaluation methods.  If you know which institutions you would like to transfer to after Montgomery College, please research how they will evaluate your credentials before choosing an agency.  This will save you both time and money.

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2019, Montgomery College