20200 Observation Drive
Germantown, MD 20876
Hours of Operation:
The Montgomery College Center for Early Education is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The Center for Early Education provides outstanding research and training opportunities for college students seeking knowledge of early childhood education and development. Under the guidance of our dedicated, professional staff, the Center for Early Education creates stimulating, campus-based, active learning experiences for children ages 2 ½ through 5. Our program cultivates academic readiness and social/emotional development within a nurturing, respectful environment that meets the needs of our community.
The Center for Early Education will be a national model for student learning and faculty research in early childhood education and development. The Center for Early Education will be where early childhood professionals, faculty, students, families and the greater community come to experience the finest early childcare training, education and service.
Our Center is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs. NAEYC accreditation means we adhere to a higher standard of quality. Fewer than 10% of Maryland’s child care centers are accredited.
Our Center is licensed by the State of Maryland Department of Human Resources.
For a detailed account of our policies and curriculum, we welcome you to take a look at our Family Handbook.
Children 2 years of age through 5 years of age will be accepted. Programs vary depending on campus location. All children must be pre-registered to attend the programs offered. Students, faculty, and staff of the College will received registration priority. Community families are welcome to enroll when space is available.
A contractual agreement must be made per semester for the days and hours that the Center will be used by the child. Ample time should be allowed for arriving and leaving. The Centers follow the College schedule for opening and closing, holidays, and snow days. Refunds will not be given for missed days. Full and part-time schedules are available with minimum hour requirements.
All Children Have an Opportunity to Develop:
• The ability to make choices and decisions about what to do and how to do it using his or her own time and energy effectively.
• Self-discipline and the ability to identify, pursue, and complete self-chosen and teacher-directed goals and tasks.
• The ability to work with other children and adults in group planning, cooperative efforts, and shared leadership.
• A knowledge of objects, skill in the arts, and comfort with physical movement.
• The ability to express thoughts, ideas, and feelings; to speak about, dramatize, and graphically represent experiences in order to communicate with others.
• The ability to comprehend others' spoken, written, dramatic, and graphic representations
• The ability to apply his or her reasoning abilities to a wide range of situations using a variety of materials.
• Creativity, initiative, spirit of inquiry, and openness to knowledge and other people's viewpoints.
Effective Parent-Staff Communication
It is essential, to all concerned, that lines of communication be continually open between parents and staff. Parental involvement and input is encouraged. In this way we can work together toward our mutual goal of providing the very best care possible for all of our "children." The Center publishes a newsletter and sponsors parent education programs.
The Center provides a morning and an afternoon snack for the children present at those times. We believe that good nutrition is essential for good development. Children who are at the Centers between noon and 12:30 p.m. must bring a lunch and a beverage which will be refrigerated.
Daily Program Activities
Program activities are planned by professionally trained teachers. Key activities provide all children with opportunities to explore life through a creatively designed child-oriented environment where learning takes place.
Interest Centers in the Classroom include:
• Housekeeping and Drama
• Table Games
• Readiness Activities
• Water and Sand
• Book Corner