2008 Self-Study Re-accreditation and Background History
Montgomery College, founded in 1946, is Maryland’s oldest community college. The College is chartered by the state of Maryland and is governed by a 10-member Board of Trustees. From a beginning class of 186, the College has grown to a multicampus institution with almost 22,000 credit students and 28,000 Workforce and Development & Continuing Education students. Campuses are located in Takoma Park, Rockville, and Germantown and are complemented by smaller off-campus sites to serve residents throughout Montgomery County.
Montgomery College was first accredited on April 28, 1950, after an evaluation by a committee representing the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), formerly the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association. MSCHE is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation (CORPA).
Montgomery College has remained on the accredited list of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools ever since, with accreditation reaffirmed in 1957, 1968, 1978, 1987, 1992, 1997, 2003, and 2008. The accreditation must be reaffirmed every ten years through a process of self-study and peer review. On June 26, 2008, the chair of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, Peter F. Burnham, has notified the College that the Commission, at its June session, acted "To reaffirm accreditation and to commend the institution for the quality of the self-study process and report". This action applies to all of our campuses. The full text of the Commission's actions may be accessed here.
2008 Re-accreditation Self-Study Process
[All documents are Adobe Acrobat pdf documents unless noted.]