Skip to Main Content


Office of Academic Initiatives


Assessment and Placement 

Students at Montgomery College, including high school students seeking to take college courses, will be required to meet all assessment and prerequisite requirements for each course sought.  Montgomery College assesses each student to determine their reading, English and math skills using College Board's  ACCUPLACER or ESLACCUPLCER Exam.  The results of the assessment test will help to determine whether a student is eligible for a college course through  Early Placement.  Early Placement students may not enroll in developmental courses or courses that combine developmental and college level work. Students must test at 53+ ACCUReading to be eligible to take any college courses.

All  ACCUPLACER, SAT and ACT scores will remain part of the student's permanent college record  and will be used to determine future course placement at MC (in accordance with college policy).

Do I have to take the ACCUPLACER test?

Students may be exempt from taking the ACCUPLACER by providing minimum qualifying SAT or ACT scores in English and/or math as follows: 

SAT ACT Minimum Assessment Level/Placement
English (Sentence Skills and Reading) 550+ (Critical Reading) 24+ (English) ENGL101/ RD120(exempt)
Math 550+ 24+ MATH093/096

Course assessment waivers may also be granted (and in some cases, credit awarded) on the basis of scores on specific CLEP,  and Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate, or Tech Prep.

Where Do I take the Test?

MCPS Students:  The ACCUPLACER exam will be administered at your  high school  on scheduled dates.  Students should check with their DEPA to obtain permission to test, testing schedule and next steps.   Students who do not test in the high school during the scheduled dates may obtain an Early Placement Authorization Form to test at an assessment center on one of MC's three main campuses.  Authorizations will be provided by the MC Academic Coordinator through the DEPA . 

Non-MCPS Students: All other Maryland public school, home-schooled, private and out of state students must obtain an Early Placement Authorization Form to test at an assessment center on one of MC's three main campuses.  Authorizations will only be provided by the MC Academic Coordinator. 

How Do I Prepare For the Test?

For ACCUPLACER and ESL ACCUPLACER practice tests and additional  information go to: 



MC Assessment Center Test Prep (ACCUPLACER):
 College Board Test Prep
 MC Assessment Center Test Prep (ESL) 
English Vocabulary Exercises
Introductory/Elementary Writing Activities 


Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2014, Montgomery College