Skip to Main Content
Banner SOE


Early Childhood Training Requirements


Maryland State ED

Montgomery College offers several courses which satisfy training requirements for child care professionals in Maryland.  Licensed and/or accredited centers and preschools as well as the Maryland State Department of Education/Child Care Division accept college transcripts as approved documentation of formal training. 

Effective Spring 2014, paper certificates will no longer be issued for job related purposes.  Email Dr. Jeannie Ho or call her at (240) 567-7468 for more information.

90- Hour Course:

Students who pass EDUC 135 (ED 120) - Child Growth and Development, and EDUC 136 (ED 121) - Curriculum Planning in Early Childhood Education with a C or higher have completed the requirements for the MSDE 90 Hour Course required for lead teachers at licensed child care centers or preschools in the State of Maryland.  EDUC 135 (ED 120) provides students with knowledge of child development and learning. EDUC 136 (ED 121) focuses on activity plans, environment designing and relationships with children and families.

Infant/Toddler - 45 Hour Course:

EDUC 153 (ED 123), Infant and Toddler Development and Curricular Planning, introduces the theory and practice of educaring for infants and toddlers in a group setting.  Upon completion of this course, the student has completed the requirements  for the Infant/Toddler 45 Hour Course Certificate required to hold the position of Infant/Toddler senior staff in a child care center.

School-Age Care - 45 Hour Course:

EDUC 154 (ED 124), School-Age Child Care, covers theories and teaching practices for providing before-and-after-school programs serving children five to thirteen.  Upon completion of this course, the student has completed the requirements  for the School-Age Care 45 Hour Course Certificate required to be a group leader in before-and-after-school programs offered in the State of Maryland.

Why take college courses instead of training classes to meet the state requirements for Child Care providers?

A 90-hour or 45-hour course certificate obtained from other training institutions cannot be transferred to Montgomery College as college credits.  Thus, students who have received a course certificate from other trainers will still need to take the related courses at Montgomery College if they decide to work on the Associate’s Degree or One-Year Certificate.  However, students who take the courses for credit meet both the training requirements and degree requirements at the same time.

Where can I get information on becoming a licensed family child care provider? 

In order to become a licensed family child care provider, you must meet certain requirements based on Maryland State Law. To find more information on opening a family child care, contact:

Central Office of Licensing
Office of Child Care
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: (410) 767-7802

Regional Office of Licensing
Office of Child Care
51 Monroe Street, Suite 200
Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: (240) 314-1400

Montgomery College

Montgomery County, MD


©2015, Montgomery College